Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Administration
 Failed To Open the explicitly specified DB

Author  Topic 

gregoryagu
Yak Posting Veteran

80 Posts

Posted - 2011-03-18 : 14:35:09
I am getting this error:

Login failed for user Jet\DPMSQLSvcsAcct. Reason: Failed to open the explicitly specified database [Client: <named pipe>]
Error: 18456, Severity: 14, State: 38.

This error occurs while trying to Set up DPM 2010.

As far as I can tell, all the permissions are correct. Is there something I can do to figure this out?

I have searched but not found a solution online.

Greg

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2011-03-18 : 14:39:42
If login, database, and server name are all correct, maybe the Named Pipes network is not enabled on the server you're trying to connect to. You can check this in SQL Configuration Manager under Network Configuration, Protocols.
Go to Top of Page

gregoryagu
Yak Posting Veteran

80 Posts

Posted - 2011-03-18 : 14:49:52
Just checked, it is enabled. I know the database and the server name are correct, but I am not sure how to verify the login is correct.

When I go to Logins in SSMS, I see JET\DPMSQLSvcsAccount. The properties show Server Roles of public and sysadmin. There are no Securables, and the status is sent to Grand Permission to the db engine, and the login is enabled.

Is there anything else I should check?

Greg
Go to Top of Page

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2011-03-18 : 14:57:13
Assuming your SQL Server is also in the JET domain, I'll have to punt on this. I've never used DPM and it sounds like it has special needs.

Although it bugs me it puts itself in sysadmin rather than backupadmin. Grrrr.
Go to Top of Page

gregoryagu
Yak Posting Veteran

80 Posts

Posted - 2011-03-18 : 15:28:56
OK, thanks for looking at this.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -