Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 Transact-SQL (2005)
 GOTO ExitHandler

Author  Topic 

dmilam
Posting Yak Master

185 Posts

Posted - 2011-04-11 : 12:24:45
Is there a better method than using

GOTO ExitHandler;

I've come across this in some production code and it seems like RETURN would be better, but I'm not familiar enough with (historical) GOTO usage in T-SQL.

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2011-04-11 : 13:21:59
If there's no code after the Exithandler label (except for RETURN), then it's safe to replace the GOTO with RETURN.
Go to Top of Page

dmilam
Posting Yak Master

185 Posts

Posted - 2011-04-11 : 13:30:48
quote:
Originally posted by robvolk

If there's no code after the Exithandler label (except for RETURN), then it's safe to replace the GOTO with RETURN.

Thanks, Rob. Here's a sample:

TRUNCATE TABLE [db].[dbo].[table];
SELECT @ReturnError = @@ERROR;
IF(@ReturnError <> 0)
BEGIN
SET @ReturnError = 1;
SET @ReturnMessage='Error, While attempting to truncate the table [db].[dbo].[table]';
GOTO ExitHandler;
END

After this, an INSERT into the above truncated table.
Go to Top of Page

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2011-04-11 : 13:41:20
That's not the part I was talking about, what comes after the ExitHandler label? Look for "ExitHandler:" in the code.

And as far as error handling goes, you should look at TRY...CATCH. The current code will not handle an error of severity 16 or higher (e.g. truncate a table that doesn't exist), but TRY...CATCH would.
Go to Top of Page

dmilam
Posting Yak Master

185 Posts

Posted - 2011-04-11 : 15:06:05
quote:

That's not the part I was talking about, what comes after the ExitHandler label? Look for "ExitHandler:" in the code.

"ExitHandler:" doesn't exist in this code. There's no comment as to where or how this code fits into a larger proc, for example.
Go to Top of Page

Michael Valentine Jones
Yak DBA Kernel (pronounced Colonel)

7020 Posts

Posted - 2011-04-11 : 15:26:02
quote:
Originally posted by dmilam

quote:

"ExitHandler:" doesn't exist in this code. There's no comment as to where or how this code fits into a larger proc, for example.

If ExitHandler: does not exit, this statement would cause a compile time error:
GOTO ExitHandler; 

CODO ERGO SUM
Go to Top of Page

dmilam
Posting Yak Master

185 Posts

Posted - 2011-04-11 : 18:30:45
Makes sense. I'm being passed fragments, it would seem.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -