Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 Transact-SQL (2008)
 collation

Author  Topic 

frank.svs
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

368 Posts

Posted - 2011-05-31 : 05:19:51
Hi friends,

I have some queries on reagding collations. Can anyone guide me in the right direction??

1.We are in process in building new SQL Servers to host multiple application Databases. Do you recommend that a SQL Server of a collation only hosts application DBs of the same collation?

2.Would like to know what is the impact if I communicate between two sql server having different system/application database collation settings.

3.Is there any harm, if I have system database collation as different and application database collation different?

4.What is the difference between
Latin1_General_CI_AS, SQLSortOrder=0
SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS, SQLSortOrder=52

5. What kind of impact in sql quries and distributed quries will have with database with different collation settings.

Any thoughts or links would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance.

yosiasz
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

1635 Posts

Posted - 2011-05-31 : 11:52:18
1. Not necessarily, it depends what you want to do. Remember that Db's inherit sql server's default location if you do not specify a collation for the dbs. Why are you thinking of having multiple collations? Is there a business need for that?

2. There will be impact specifically on your queries that might join tables/views between disparate collations
3. It depends what you do. Again why do you want so many different collations = maintenance nightmare. and make sure to consult with your BI and SQL developers.
4. Read BOL
5. The impact will be nightmare on elm street. you will have to re-collate your queries everywhere.

from maintenance pov imo very bad design approach.

If you don't have the passion to help people, you have no passion
Go to Top of Page

frank.svs

368 Posts

Posted - 2011-06-01 : 06:04:23
One doubt,

Does the SQLSortOrder is tied up with the collation name or the code page????

I have created a database with collation "SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS" and when i say
sp_helpdb 'db1'
Collation=SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS, SQLSortOrder=52

Similary i have created one more database "db2" with collation as "Latin1_General_CI_AS" and when i say

sp_helpdb 'db2'
Collation=Latin1_General_CI_AS, SQLSortOrder=0

Also, i have executed the following queries

select * from fn_helpcollations()
where name = 'SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS'
/*
name description
SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS Latin1-General, case-insensitive, accent-sensitive, kanatype-insensitive, width-insensitive for Unicode Data, SQL Server Sort Order 52 on Code Page 1252 for non-Unicode Data
*/
select * from fn_helpcollations()
where name = 'Latin1_General_CI_AS'
/*
Latin1_General_CI_AS Latin1-General, case-insensitive, accent-sensitive, kanatype-insensitive, width-insensitive
*/

Now my question is Does the SQLSortOrder is tied up with the collation name or the code page????

Am slightly confused.

Can anyone help me out with some easy explaination???

Thanks in Advance.
Go to Top of Page

frank.svs

368 Posts

Posted - 2011-06-01 : 07:21:08
Here is where am getting confused?

Difference between windows collation and sql collation?
what is relation between collation, code page and sort order id ?

Anyone explain in simple words just for the sake of easy understanding ?
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -