SQL Server Forums
Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | Forum FAQ

Register Now and get your question answered!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Administration
 Tail Log backup
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

InfraDBA
Starting Member

38 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2011 :  12:46:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I created a new database in my test instance.Then I restore the same database into the same instance.First time it went successfully.Then immediately I fired another restore the next second.I got the following message.(1)I want to know even though I haven't done a single transaction how come the question of tail log comes.(2)If I backup the log using norecovery then the restore happens fine.Please elaborate.I will be very thankful.

Msg 3159, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
The tail of the log for the database "TEST" has not been backed up. Use BACKUP LOG WITH NORECOVERY to backup the log if it contains work you do not want to lose. Use the WITH REPLACE or WITH STOPAT clause of the RESTORE statement to just overwrite the contents of the log.
Msg 3013, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
RESTORE DATABASE is terminating abnormally.

GilaMonster
Flowing Fount of Yak Knowledge

South Africa
4507 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2011 :  14:32:04  Show Profile  Visit GilaMonster's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's just warning you that the DB is in full recovery and hence (since full recovery means you're worried about data loss) restoring may lose transactions. If you don't care either switch the DB to simple recovery or do the restore WITH REPLACE.

--
Gail Shaw
SQL Server MVP
Go to Top of Page

InfraDBA
Starting Member

38 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2011 :  15:54:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you..
Go to Top of Page

AlexGreen
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2011 :  10:13:50  Show Profile  Visit AlexGreen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You can check this link for further details about Tail-Log Backups http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms179314.aspx.
To avoid this message and you don't need a complex restore solution, try this free tool unspammed.

Good Luck.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SQL Server Forums © 2000-2009 SQLTeam Publishing, LLC Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000