Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Administration
 transaction log file

Author  Topic 

g2559076
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 2011-06-18 : 19:03:17
hi how to reduce the transaction log of databases i know the one way it is shrink the databases is there anything else.

i was waiting like 20hr no reply

Narasimhareddy
Sql Server

jeffw8713
Aged Yak Warrior

819 Posts

Posted - 2011-06-19 : 13:27:10
Is your database set to full recovery model? If so, how often are you backing up the transaction log?

If you are not backing up the transaction log on a regular basis at least every hour, then you need to determine whether or not you need point in time recovery. If you are okay with restoring to your last backup and losing that data - then you can change the recovery model to simple and avoid having to do transaction log backups.

I would not recommend that approach though - you really should perform daily full backups and at least hourly transaction log backups.

Once you have that implemented, monitor the size of the transaction log backups for at least a month (to include your month end processing) and size the transaction log to a bit more than the largest backup. You can use DBCC SHRINKFILE to shrink the log file to the size you have determined is the largest it needs to be - and then leave it alone.

Jeff
Go to Top of Page

g2559076
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 2011-06-19 : 14:25:32
Thank you

Narasimhareddy
Sql Server
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -