Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Administration
 SQL Server detail error logs

Author  Topic 

edyl
Starting Member

35 Posts

Posted - 2011-06-20 : 17:17:43
Hello everyone,

There are stored procedure jobs which are scheduled to run every hour. These always send out status emails with a brief description. From the last couple of runs the job is failing with only this error in the email:

"Error converting data type varchar to float."

Since it only says there is data conversion issue but it doesn't say where, eyeballing through lines of codes on the store procs or running the sql query in the proc one by one is simply not feasible because of the sheer number stored procs I would have to go through.

Is there any place where the SQL Server logs these information in some internal log files? Thus i can view it and possibly figure out what column of what table that may be producting that conversion issue. Going just by what's been thrown in the email, it would be like looking for a "needle in the haystack".

We are using SQL Server 2008.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

ahmeds08
Aged Yak Warrior

737 Posts

Posted - 2011-06-21 : 02:16:27
did you try executing the same procedure in query window??
Go to Top of Page

edyl
Starting Member

35 Posts

Posted - 2011-06-21 : 09:22:11
The procedure does a bunch of inserts and it shouldn't happen at any other time than its regular schedule. Down side is that we don't have a Dev env. so that I can run it in that. I was hoping that even thought only part of the message shows up in the email, perhaps the SQL server itself logged the detail error message somewhere.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -