Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 Analysis Server and Reporting Services (2008)
 #Error when summing a field in SSRS

Author  Topic 

cwildeman
Starting Member

40 Posts

Posted - 2011-07-08 : 13:15:01
I have a Matrix report where I am attempting to sum a field called InjuryValue. This field is formatted as Nchar(1) with a value of either 1 or 0. The expression for this field in SSRS is =sum(Fields!InjuryValue.Value) which generates the #Error message. The column header is called TrxMonth and the Row field is called UnitName2. When I change the expression to =count(Fields!InjuryValue.Value)it returns a number but give me the count of records (0 or 1) rather than summing all of the ones. Can someone help?

Chuck

Chuck W

sunitabeck
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

5155 Posts

Posted - 2011-07-08 : 14:46:53
Would using an expression such as this work?

=SUM(Iif(Fields!InjuryValue.Value="1",1,0))
Go to Top of Page

cwildeman
Starting Member

40 Posts

Posted - 2011-07-11 : 09:21:17
Thanks for your help. That worked. Some of the values that are returned are 1 or greater than 1 while others are zero. There are some that are also null. Is it possible to modify this so that if there is a null value, it returns a zero? Chuck

Chuck W
Go to Top of Page

sunitabeck
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

5155 Posts

Posted - 2011-07-11 : 10:24:45
You can use the IsNothing function as in IsNothing(Fields!InjuryValue.Value).

(I am simply looking in the expression editor to post my replies to you. IsNothing is under Common Functions -> Inspection category.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -