Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2005)
 can DB restore can be done from trn file only

Author  Topic 

thanksfor help
Posting Yak Master

106 Posts

Posted - 2011-08-08 : 03:37:39
Hi,

There was department change in our coampany. Our team only got trn file to restore our sql server dB, it possible in any way to restore the DB from trn file. I know it is transaction log file and bak file is required in sql server 2000. I just want to make sure in 2005 before connecting with other team.

thanks

GilaMonster
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

4507 Posts

Posted - 2011-08-08 : 04:02:35
No. A restore always starts with a full backup (it can be full database, full filegroup or full file, but it must be a full backup) then optionally a differential backup then the transaction log backups, in order, starting with the one after the full/diff backup.

--
Gail Shaw
SQL Server MVP
Go to Top of Page

thanksfor help
Posting Yak Master

106 Posts

Posted - 2011-08-08 : 04:10:17
thanks for quick reply. But I was told the .trn file has both transaction log back up and full backup. This what confussed me so I need help.

thanks again
Go to Top of Page

GilaMonster
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

4507 Posts

Posted - 2011-08-08 : 05:21:43
If it's a log backup (and those are the backups that typically get the .trn extension), then it is a transaction log backup only and you will also need the full backup to restore.
What the person may have done (a really stupid thing) is to append the full and log backups into a single file and name it as if it were a log backup. (really stupid)

Try a RESTORE HEADERONLY and see what's really in that file.

--
Gail Shaw
SQL Server MVP
Go to Top of Page

thanksfor help
Posting Yak Master

106 Posts

Posted - 2011-08-08 : 08:22:06
thanks, I will try and update
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -