Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 Other SQL Server 2008 Topics
 Performance monitor not working

Author  Topic 

mnjoe
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 2011-08-08 : 14:47:49
Windows 2008 R2. when I go into the windows monitor I click on Data collector sets then on system. I select the system performance and right click on select start and a small green arrow appears but then in about 2 minutes it disappears and there is no error. I tried the command line C:\windows\system32 lodctr /R as administrator and that did nothing. I started the performance counter DLL host in the services and that did nothing.

Thanks
Joel

russell
Pyro-ma-ni-yak

5072 Posts

Posted - 2011-08-08 : 20:22:53
Works for me, but...I just Expand the Monitoring Tools node, go to PErmormance Monitor.

Better yet, monitor it remotely from your workstation
Go to Top of Page

mnjoe
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 2011-08-09 : 15:35:13
I tried it from my laptop and get the error

The activity monitor is unable to execute queries against server (M server name)
activity monitor for this instance will be placed into a paused state
use the context menu in the overview pane to resume the activity monitor

additional information

"Sample _SQL_handle" is not a recognized table hints option. if it is intended as a parameter to a table valued function or to the CHANGETABLE function, ensure that your database compatability mode is set to 90.
"Sample _PLAN_handle" is not a recognized table hints option. if it is intended as a parameter to a table valued function or to the CHANGETABLE function, ensure that your database compatability mode is set to 90.
(Microsoft SQL server, error: 321)
Go to Top of Page

russell
Pyro-ma-ni-yak

5072 Posts

Posted - 2011-08-09 : 20:39:49
Windows (performance) monitor and Activity monitor are two very different things.

What are you doing exactly, and what are you trying to see?
Go to Top of Page

mnjoe
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 2011-08-10 : 12:15:31
I am trying to get the performance monitor for SQL server to run. When I go into the SQL Server management window studio and click on the performance monitor it does not run. So I check the windows system performance monitor in the Control panel and open the system performance monitor. I click on the data collector sets - system - system performance. It shows that it is not running, There is no little green arrow. So I right click on the system performance and select start and a green arrow appears and a couple of minutes later the green arrow disappears. From what I was told this needs to be running first before the SQL Server performance monitor will work. Any help is very appreciated.

thanks
Joel
Go to Top of Page

mnjoe
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 2011-08-10 : 12:17:26
Sorry, That should be trying to get the activity monitor for the SQL server to work.
Go to Top of Page

russell
Pyro-ma-ni-yak

5072 Posts

Posted - 2011-08-10 : 14:14:09
Have VIEW SERVER STATE permissions? Or are you sysadmin on the instance?

What happens if you execute sp_who2 from a query window?
Go to Top of Page

msheehan
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2012-12-07 : 16:11:12
Has anyone figured out a solution to this issue? In activity monitor, only Processes and Recent Expensive Queries are showing data. Overview, Resource Waits, and Data File I/O is not working.
Go to Top of Page

mnjoe
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 2012-12-10 : 12:13:32
quote:
Originally posted by msheehan

Has anyone figured out a solution to this issue? In activity monitor, only Processes and Recent Expensive Queries are showing data. Overview, Resource Waits, and Data File I/O is not working.

Go to Top of Page

mnjoe
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 2012-12-10 : 12:22:10
The only thing I have found is this.

Create a new SQL Server instance on the server Name it ServerTest or what ever. Restore any backup of the database to this new instance. Does not matter how old the backup is. Give the database a new name like sandbox. Now connect to this server and database and try the monitor and see if everything works. If it does then what you need to do is backup the database. save it off to the side some place. Now delete the old (BAD) SQL server instance and then just rec0reate it. restore the database and then check the monitor. Hope this helps.

MNJoe
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -