Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Programming
 Correlated subqueries are ALWAYS slow for me...

Author  Topic 

Aleph_0
Yak Posting Veteran

79 Posts

Posted - 2011-08-25 : 14:52:14
Maybe the tables I'm working with are too large, but any time I write a concise query (that uses correlated subqueries) that would make any purist happy, it takes forever. I always have to resort to using temp tables.

That got me thinking, what would I do if I were trying to make a view? I couldn't use temp tables, and doing multiple joins on those large tables wouldn't make things faster. Is there some other option when trying to make a view-like object? I suppose you could always just create a new table instead of a view, but then you'd have to do that every time the original table is updated.

This isn't a specific problem I'm working on - just trying to get a better understanding of SQL in general. Of course, now that I've asked, I bet I'll run into this very problem soon!

Thanks!

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2011-08-25 : 15:13:52
Could you post one example of a slow query and then it rewritten with a temp table that is faster?

Tara Kizer
Microsoft MVP for Windows Server System - SQL Server
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/

Subscribe to my blog
Go to Top of Page

Transact Charlie
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3451 Posts

Posted - 2011-08-26 : 05:30:21
I don't like correlated sub queries. You can end up running that query for every row in the outer query.

Generally rewriting as a derived table (if possible) and joining is a much better approach.

Ya -- can you post an example. Sounds like an interesting challenge.

Charlie
===============================================================
Msg 3903, Level 16, State 1, Line 1736
The ROLLBACK TRANSACTION request has no corresponding BEGIN TRANSACTION
Go to Top of Page

GilaMonster
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

4507 Posts

Posted - 2011-08-26 : 05:47:14
In general, the only time a correlated subquery runs once per row is when there's a TOP 1 .. ORDER BY in it, or a triangular join. Otherwise they're pretty much equivalent to joins.

--
Gail Shaw
SQL Server MVP
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -