Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Programming
 Custom sequence logic troubles?

Author  Topic 

typo
Starting Member

14 Posts

Posted - 2011-08-26 : 14:11:25
I'm using SQL Server 2005. And I'm trying to create a custom sequence for an equipment_id. Format ABC-YEAR-0001 ex: ABC-2011-0001, ABC-2011-0002, ABC-2011-0003 . The client wants to reset the last 4 digits at the start of each new year. Ex: ABC-2012-0001

How can I accomplish this in a proc or function?

Thanks

gwilson67
Starting Member

42 Posts

Posted - 2011-08-26 : 15:18:32
Try the following:

select field1,
'ABC-+convert(varchar(25),datepart(yyyy,getdate())) + '-' + convert(varchar(25), row_number() over (order by (select 1)))
from tableName

Greg
http://www.freewebstore.org/tsqlcoderepository
Powerful tool for SQL Server development
Go to Top of Page

TG
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

6065 Posts

Posted - 2011-08-26 : 15:34:43
>>custom sequence for an equipment_id

If this will be a Key used as a primary key and/or for referential integrity then (In my opinion) a custom sequence would be mistake. For a surrogate key go with identity or (nonclustered guid), or sequencial guid.

If the client needs this "smart key" as some sort of display thing - and you can't talk them out of it - then just make it an attribute of the table with a unique constraint. Can I assume that once a value is associated with a given piece of equipment it needs to stick permanently, right? So an on demand solution based on row_number() is out of the question? Generating sequential keys manually is always risky with regards to concurrency. You're bound to get collisions unless your db is in single user mode. If I haven't talked you out of it yet post back we can come up with a hack. Can I also assume that you'll need the solution to be able to handle multi-row inserts?

Be One with the Optimizer
TG
Go to Top of Page

gwilson67
Starting Member

42 Posts

Posted - 2011-08-26 : 16:51:04
reset the last 4 digits -- use :

DBCC CHECKIDENT (yourtableName, reseed, @NewStartSeedValue)

Greg
Go to Top of Page

TG

6065 Posts

Posted - 2011-08-26 : 17:06:47
quote:
Originally posted by gwilson67

reset the last 4 digits -- use :

DBCC CHECKIDENT (yourtableName, reseed, @NewStartSeedValue)

Greg

That would work if you kept a seperate identity column for the sequence portion of the code and it would solve the concurrency problem. However if they want a separate sequence for each prefix then it wouldn't work. ie ABC-2011-0001 and DEF-2011-0001.

TG
Go to Top of Page

typo
Starting Member

14 Posts

Posted - 2011-08-28 : 10:28:41
It is more of a display thing. Sort of like a barcode to be attached to equipment. The first 3 letters (ABC) will never change. It will not be used as a primary key. It looks like this might do the trick.

select field1,
'ABC-+convert(varchar(25),datepart(yyyy,getdate())) + '-' + convert(varchar(25), row_number() over (order by (select 1)))
from tableName

But how do I get the last 4 digits to reset automatically back to 0001 at the start of each new year? That's where I'm stuck.

Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

TG

6065 Posts

Posted - 2011-08-28 : 22:48:48
Then you could simply add a PARTITION BY in you over clause:
'ABC-+convert(varchar(25),datepart(yyyy,getdate())) + '-' + convert(varchar(25), row_number()
over (partition by datepart(yyyy,getdate()) order by equipmentid))

I changed the order by so that your results would be more consistent one run to the next. However, as your data changes you may get a different sequence value for the same equipment_id. That would not be good if you are using this value as a reference to a specific row.

TG
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -