Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Programming
 VERY Basic Question regarding SQL Query

Author  Topic 

SergioM
Posting Yak Master

170 Posts

Posted - 2011-08-30 : 12:57:33
I'm pretty sure that this is doable (in fact easy), but I don't know what to search for.

Let's say I have a table with 3 columns. "Item", "Quantity" & "Cost". I want to write a SQL Query that will output 4 columns, but I don't want to change anything in the hard-written table. The fourth column is a calculation which is "Amount invested". "Quantity" multiplied by "Cost". And the output would look something like this:

Item Quantity Cost Amount Invested
Socks 7 2.50 17.5
Shirts 15 7.50 112.5
Slacks 12 22 264

Can anyone point me to the write direction? So far, I'm working with filtering commands like "Select" "From" "where" and "order". But nothing that would change the data or output.

visakh16
Very Important crosS Applying yaK Herder

52326 Posts

Posted - 2011-08-30 : 13:00:55
[code]SELECT Item,Quantity,Cost,Quantity * Cost AS [Amount Invested]
FROM Table
[/code]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SQL Server MVP
http://visakhm.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

craigwg
Posting Yak Master

154 Posts

Posted - 2011-08-30 : 13:24:13
Above query is perfect. It's called an aggregated column. You are essentially creating a column that is aggregated from other values. In this case those values are cells from the table, but they can be static numbers or values from other locations in the database (or even elsewhere on the server...or even elsewhere from a linked server!). You don't HAVE to give the column an alias but it can be helpful. I personally would recommend not using spaces in the alias, but there is a time and a place for this.

Craig Greenwood
Go to Top of Page

SergioM
Posting Yak Master

170 Posts

Posted - 2011-08-30 : 13:39:28
Wow, that was easy! Thanks guys!

@Craig, In regards to linking to external files & databases; that is exactly where I am headed. But I am taking baby steps. The next step (for me) is in conditional logic. I'm going to put up a separate post on book suggestions, but I'm really going to need one. Thanks again
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -