Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2008)
 Users in India Can't Connect

Author  Topic 

seth2011
Starting Member

10 Posts

Posted - 2011-09-05 : 11:41:26
Environment:

Server: SQL Server 2008 Enterprise 64-bit server
Clients: SQL Server Management Studio 2008

Users are all in the same domain - both US users and users in India

Users all have the same database roles - both US and India. Everyone connecting through Windows AD (Windows authentication)

Problem:
US users can use SSMS to connect to SQL Server. Users in India cannot. Error: "A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or not accessible... Error 53"

Diagnostics tried so far:
- India users can ping the server perfectly
- India users are trying to connect using both server name and FQDN ("server" and "server.lax.rux.corp")
- used SQL Server Configuration manager to make sure TCP/IP is enabled and listening on all IP addresses (named pipes is also enabled)
- SQL Server is allowing remote connections (obviously, since US users have been using the server for months)
- SQL Server (MSSQLServer) and SQL Browser are both running
- server has been rebooted

Any ideas? Please help.

Thanks,
Seth

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2011-09-05 : 12:03:16
Have the India users try: serverName,portNumber

Tara Kizer
Microsoft MVP for Windows Server System - SQL Server
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/

Subscribe to my blog
Go to Top of Page

seth2011
Starting Member

10 Posts

Posted - 2011-09-05 : 13:52:26
Hi Tara,

Thanks for responding. In the SSMS "Connect to Server" dialog box, can you tell me the syntax please? I've tried 10.44.44.44,1433 and tcp:10.44.44.44\SQL2008,1433 without success.

Seth
Go to Top of Page

seth2011
Starting Member

10 Posts

Posted - 2011-09-06 : 09:10:17
I got 10.44.44.44,1433 to work for me. When the users in India tried, they received the same error: "A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or not accessible... Error 53".

Additional info:
- there is another SQL Server box running SS 2000. They are able to connect to that. It's in the same domain as the 2008 box.
- These servers are on an internal network and there is no firewall running.

Go to Top of Page

seth2011
Starting Member

10 Posts

Posted - 2011-09-06 : 10:30:20
The error message when the user tried to connect with the IP address and port was "A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 10060)".

Looking up the above error, the advice from MSDN is "Make sure that you have configured the firewall on the computer to allow this instance of SQL Server to accept connections". The firewall is not running, but more cogently, users in the U.S. are using SSMS to access the server - it's only users in India who can't. The other MSDN advice: "Use the SQL Server Configuration Manager tool to allow SQL Server to accept remote connections." I made sure that was true and again, the U.S. users are using this server everyday.
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2011-09-06 : 13:10:47
Are you sure 1433 is the listening port? 1433 isn't generally used anymore unless it's the default instance.

Have the India users do a telnet test (from a cmd window: servername portnumber). If that fails, you'll need to contact your network administrator for help.

Tara Kizer
Microsoft MVP for Windows Server System - SQL Server
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/

Subscribe to my blog
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -