Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 Error 927

Author  Topic 

workstream
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2011-09-09 : 07:35:40
Hi,

We have two SQL databases - a LIVE database and a TEST database. The other day I tried to restore a backup of the LIVE db into the TEST db (something I've done dozens of times before). An error popped up immediately and since then the TEST db has been greyed out in SQL Enterprise Manager and has "(loading)" after its name. Now, if I try to do another restore to the TEST db, or even just view the properties, I get an "Error 927: Database 'TEST' cannot be opened. It is in the middle of a restore.' I've tried googling this problem and found two solutions, neither of which work for me.

The first is to open Query Analyzer and run "RESTORE DATABASE TEST WITH RECOVERY". This results in an error message as follows:
"File 'workstream' was only partially restored by a database or file restore. The entire file must be successfully restored before applying the log.
Server: Msg 3013, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
RESTORE DATABASE is terminating abnormally."

The other suggested fix was to stop the SQL Server Agent Service and the Microsoft Search Service, then try the restore again. This just resulted in the same "Error 927..."

I've also tried rebooting the server and that didn't change anything.

Any other suggestions or advice gratefully received.

Thanks.

russell
Pyro-ma-ni-yak

5072 Posts

Posted - 2011-09-09 : 11:30:44
Since you're just going to do a restore over top of it, kill the process accessing it. drop the database. May need to manually delete the files.

Make darn sure your backup is good before doing this.
Go to Top of Page

jen
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

4110 Posts

Posted - 2011-09-09 : 14:35:34
since it is a test database, restore to another database but before doing that check if you have the full backup chain, from full to differential down to log

also view the backup file before restoring completely to verify you are restoring the correct number of files

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms173778.aspx

If the above works, just drop TEST database if not needed anymore

--------------------
keeping it simple...
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -