Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Old Forums
 CLOSED - General SQL Server
 Maximum Number of SQL tables

Author  Topic 

AskSQLTeam
Ask SQLTeam Question

0 Posts

Posted - 2002-06-05 : 09:32:39
Napoleon writes "Hi Guys,
What is the maximum number of tables in SQL 2000? Please...I need your idea...
Nap"

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2002-06-05 : 09:34:25
In Books Online there is an entry for "capacity specifications" and it lists all of the numerical limits for various features of SQL Server. In the case of tables/objects, that limit is approx. 2 billion. If you are designing a database that has 2 billion objects, trust me, you're doing it wrong.

Go to Top of Page

RickD
Slow But Sure Yak Herding Master

3608 Posts

Posted - 2002-06-05 : 09:50:40
If you mean within T-SQL, it is 256, if you are using this many, your head will explode....

Peace

Rick

Go to Top of Page

timmy
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

1242 Posts

Posted - 2007-01-09 : 01:19:40
Sorry to dredge up an old topic, but someone told me recently that this limitation has been lifted for SQL 2000 SP4. Doesn't seem right to me - it seems like a fairly substantial change.
The list of fixes for SP4 doesn't mention it.

Does anyone know?

Cheers,

Tim
Go to Top of Page

khtan
In (Som, Ni, Yak)

17689 Posts

Posted - 2007-01-09 : 01:29:26
Don't think so.

Does not make sense if it was lifted in SP4 but still limit it in 2005 http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143432.aspx

KH

Go to Top of Page

Michael Valentine Jones
Yak DBA Kernel (pronounced Colonel)

7020 Posts

Posted - 2007-01-09 : 09:10:04
Having a limit of 2 billion+ in the database doesn't seem like much of a problem.

Having a limit of 256 tables in a query doesn't seem like that big of a problem either. I don't think I have ever run into this limit.

CODO ERGO SUM
Go to Top of Page

timmy

1242 Posts

Posted - 2007-01-09 : 16:15:07
We've come close to it doing some fairly complex FX calculations that use 3 views and a stored proc for one operation. Admittedly it could be improved, but it works well and much easier than crunching the numbers manually in a client-side app using a bunch of arrays.....
Go to Top of Page

TG

6065 Posts

Posted - 2007-01-09 : 17:32:45
I agree that if you are bumping up against sql limits for anything you're way off base with design.

I recall someone here posted a problem of exceding the table limit in a query. They insisted they only used 6 tables. Turned out it was because they had several views, each having a boat-load of self joins because of "normalization issues". Then made different views of the base views Joined together, and finally an SP joined the views of views. Although there were only about 6 underlying tables the cumulitive effect of views of views with self joins blew out the 256 table limit...ugly

Be One with the Optimizer
TG
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -