Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2008)
 AWE allocate memory

Author  Topic 

leodone
Starting Member

30 Posts

Posted - 2011-10-05 : 09:52:27
Hello Everyone,

I have AWE enabled on my SQL server 2008 on window server 2008 64 BIT with 24 G of RAM. SQL Server is currently using 6 g of RAM.

Question:
1) is this normal?
2) should I disable AWE?
3) What is the basic amount of RAM each databases use? (We have 7 database on this server)

I thought SQL server releases memory when not in use.

Newbie here.

chris_cs
Posting Yak Master

223 Posts

Posted - 2011-10-05 : 10:03:10
My understanding is AWE only needs to be set for 32 bit systems. You should normally stick with the default memory setting when SQL Server is installed.

SQL Server can then use whatever memory is available to it which is what you want for good performance.

Junior DBA learning the ropes
Go to Top of Page

leodone
Starting Member

30 Posts

Posted - 2011-10-05 : 10:13:16
Chris

Thanks

Question - to disable it, do I need to restart the database services once I make that change?
Go to Top of Page

chris_cs
Posting Yak Master

223 Posts

Posted - 2011-10-05 : 10:19:44
Not that I'm aware of.

Junior DBA learning the ropes
Go to Top of Page

lappin
Posting Yak Master

182 Posts

Posted - 2011-10-05 : 10:29:48
You can test that you are able to access more RAM by setting the minimum and maximum memory being used, e.g. set min=10GB and max=20GB. Then check usage. 10GB might be a high minimum but if the server is only handling SQL Server then it may not be. Setting a realistic minimum means SQL Server will not have to waste resources claiming more memory as it needs it.
Go to Top of Page

Bustaz Kool
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

1834 Posts

Posted - 2011-10-06 : 19:29:13
Here's the straight poop...
1) You don't need AWE enabled in a 64-bit environment
2) It's okay to set it; you might gain a small performance boost if you do
See: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/psssql/archive/2009/09/11/fun-with-locked-pages-awe-task-manager-and-the-working-set.aspx
3) Changing the AWE Enabled setting requires a service restart

=======================================
Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving that there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof. -John Kenneth Galbraith
Go to Top of Page

GilaMonster

4507 Posts

Posted - 2011-10-07 : 03:05:08
AWE enabled is completely and totally ignored on 64-bit. It does nothing, it's essentially a no-op.

Enabling AWE will not have any effects at all on 64-bit. It's locked pages that the blog post says can have a performance improvement (service account added to the lock pages in memory local security permission)

--
Gail Shaw
SQL Server MVP
Go to Top of Page

Bustaz Kool

1834 Posts

Posted - 2011-10-07 : 13:08:15
Well, sure ...if you are going to read the ENTIRE article it's pretty clear thar AWE is a no-op; especially the part where they say that "It is a 'no-op' for 64bit SQL Server systems". But reading the ENTIRE article is tantamount to cheating...

=======================================
Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving that there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof. -John Kenneth Galbraith
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -