Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Programming
 Substr with @ delimiter?

Author  Topic 

richardlewis
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2011-10-13 : 09:58:39
Hi, wondering if someone can help me,

I need to extract the domain from an email address column in a table in order to count/group the data in a query.

Is there a simple way to do this, using for example substr function or an alternative?

ie. looking at below I need to derive the Domain column, using Email...

Email Domain
-------------------------------------------------
amy.smith@abc.com abc.com
paul.baker@def.com def.com

Any help would be much appreciated.

jimf
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2875 Posts

Posted - 2011-10-13 : 10:01:55
declare @str varchar(100)
set @str = 'amy.smith@abc.com'

select substring(@str,patindex('%@%',@str)+1,100)

Jim

Everyday I learn something that somebody else already knew
Go to Top of Page

madhivanan
Premature Yak Congratulator

22864 Posts

Posted - 2011-10-13 : 10:28:43
http://beyondrelational.com/blogs/madhivanan/archive/2011/06/20/selecting-domain-name-from-email-address.aspx

Madhivanan

Failing to plan is Planning to fail
Go to Top of Page

paultech
Yak Posting Veteran

79 Posts

Posted - 2011-10-13 : 10:37:37
try the following function for any delimator :

(CREATE FUNCTION SplitString ( -- Add the parameters for the function here @myString varchar(500), @deliminator varchar(10) ) RETURNS @ReturnTable TABLE ( -- Add the column definitions for the TABLE variable here [id] [int] IDENTITY(1,1) NOT NULL, [part] [varchar](50) NULL ) AS BEGIN Declare @iSpaces int Declare @part varchar(50) --initialize spaces Select @iSpaces = charindex(@deliminator,@myString,0) While @iSpaces > 0 Begin Select @part = substring(@myString,0,charindex(@deliminator,@myString,0)) Insert Into @ReturnTable(part) Select @part Select @myString = substring(@mystring,charindex(@deliminator,@myString,0)+ len(@deliminator),len(@myString) - charindex(' ',@myString,0)) Select @iSpaces = charindex(@deliminator,@myString,0) end If len(@myString) > 0 Insert Into @ReturnTable Select @myString RETURN END GO)

Go to Top of Page

richardlewis
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2011-10-17 : 05:44:28
Many thanks all for your replies and help.

The embedded patindex/instr solved my problem.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -