Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Site Related Forums
 The Yak Corral
 And we have another

Author  Topic 

AndrewMurphy
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2916 Posts

Posted - 2002-06-11 : 05:27:04
4 digit poster....drum roll, please........

.....Ladies and Gentlemen I give you, the 1, the only, the Graz....

Just imagine the number of posts he could claim, if AskSQLTeam wasn't involved.

dataphile
Yak Posting Veteran

71 Posts

Posted - 2002-06-11 : 05:32:47
One less than you currently have. :)

You have a point though.
On the HP usergroups, you get points from the author on how good you solved their problems. That distinquishes the guys who give millions of answers from the guys who ask millions of questions.

Go to Top of Page

Wanderer
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

1168 Posts

Posted - 2002-06-11 : 07:34:31
That's Me !! Veteran Question poster... although I have answered a few!

I've seen the "point allocation" ... imho that adds alot of admin in terms of reviewing answers etc. While I agree that it is possible to have quite a few posts without really contributing ( like me ;-) ), but I think that most people who hit the 100's + post are fairly strong "resouces". And there are some strong posters who just joined... (again imho).

Go to Top of Page

dataphile
Yak Posting Veteran

71 Posts

Posted - 2002-06-11 : 08:26:17
quote:
I think that most people who hit the 100's + post are fairly strong "resouces". And there are some strong posters who just joined

I see your point. I'm here to post answers, except for the Linkedserver question I answered myself...and this message, and the one before that yak, yak. Am I a veteran yet?

Go to Top of Page

Nazim
A custom title

1408 Posts

Posted - 2002-06-11 : 08:34:10
Congrats Graz
a Job well done.

What i like about graz is he doesnt jumps to post the answers. he restrains himself to managing the site .and an occasions he does post to remind people who is the boss.

whew! he got a new title too. looks cool Chief SQLTeam Crack Dealer now that refers to the persons above 1500 posts

-------------------------
What lies behind you and what lies ahead of you are small matters compared to what lies within you.-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Edited by - Nazim on 06/11/2002 08:35:11
Go to Top of Page

graz
Chief SQLTeam Crack Dealer

4149 Posts

Posted - 2002-06-11 : 09:56:14
Yeah, I finally managed 1000 posts. I should probably tell myself to get a life :)

quote:
You have a point though.
On the HP usergroups, you get points from the author on how good you solved their problems. That distinquishes the guys who give millions of answers from the guys who ask millions of questions.

How well does that work? I've considered doing something similar here.

quote:
What i like about graz is he doesnt jumps to post the answers. he restrains himself to managing the site .and an occasions he does post to remind people who is the boss

It's so nice of Nazim to assume that I even KNOW the answers :) I probably should have called myself Head Zookeeper. Or Yak Herder. Boss implies far too much control. Running this place is like herding schizophrenic ADD cats

===============================================
Creating tomorrow's legacy systems today.
One crisis at a time.
Go to Top of Page

izaltsman
A custom title

1139 Posts

Posted - 2002-06-11 : 10:10:20
Nice work graz!

And once again, thanks for creating one of the best SQL Server resources around!!!

You're the man!

Go to Top of Page

Merkin
Funky Drop Bear Fearing SQL Dude!

4970 Posts

Posted - 2002-06-11 : 10:14:05
quote:

Please Graz NEVER implement this.
This is what Expert-Exchange is based on, and IMHO fails miserably. What it leads to, is the clueless people only giving points to people that give complete code. So only the people willing to constantly post complete code to whore for posts will end up bothering to answer questions.
If you try to answer in such a way that the poster might learn something, your answer doesn't get accepted.

Needless to say, the code that gets posted is complete shit.

Damian
Go to Top of Page

Merkin

4970 Posts

Posted - 2002-06-11 : 10:15:29
Oh by the way, congrats on hacking the DB so it looks like you do some work around here

Damian
Go to Top of Page

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2002-06-11 : 10:22:27
quote:
Running this place is like herding schizophrenic ADD cats

graz, you don't need to use the words "ADD" or "schizophrenic" when talking about cats, it's redundant.

AND CONGRATULATIONS TOO!

Should I tell everyone that your actual, true post count is MUCH higher than that? If anyone's interested, before he fixed it, any Ask SQL Team post that graz answered WOULDN'T increase his post count.

So, in truth, he passed 1000 posts a looooooooooooong time ago...in a galaxy far, far away....

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, Natalie

Go to Top of Page

Merkin

4970 Posts

Posted - 2002-06-11 : 10:24:33
Rob, surely he isn't talking about us ?

quote:

Running this place is like herding schizophrenic ADD cats

Go to Top of Page

Nazim
A custom title

1408 Posts

Posted - 2002-06-11 : 10:28:10
why not a recount of the posts. Oh! yeah not like the presidential elections one. but for one thing it would report the correct post count. i myself have deleted couple of my posts with no change in my post count.

-------------------------
What lies behind you and what lies ahead of you are small matters compared to what lies within you.-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Edited by - Nazim on 06/11/2002 10:29:34
Go to Top of Page

dataphile
Yak Posting Veteran

71 Posts

Posted - 2002-06-11 : 11:00:35
quote:

How well does that work? I've considered doing something similar here.

Next to each reply is an <assign points> button (where your EDIT, REPLY WITH QUOTE) icons are. Only the author of the original message can assign points, and not to himself. If an 8-10 is assigned, the problem is considered solved and marked with a Rabit-in-hat icon in the list, although you can still post to the article. ppl who post crap gets nothing. Points accumulate as posts accumulate here. The status(STARTING MEMBER, VETERAN etc) is signified by a hat icon (from baseball cap to Roman-Empire-branch-thingy).

Guys who have made roman-empire are respected for their sheer brilliance and not because they can type. They also keep comming back to earn points, get rewarded, patted on the back etc.

It also tells the questioner how reliable an answer is that is going to take a rebuild of the cluster to achieve.

Edited by - dataphile on 06/11/2002 11:06:25
Go to Top of Page

AjarnMark
SQL Slashing Gunting Master

3246 Posts

Posted - 2002-06-11 : 19:43:40
quote:
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, Natalie

It's good to see that Rob is still focused...

quote:
And once again, thanks for creating one of the best SQL Server resources around!!!

I second this! Here's to you Graz! (and your schizophrenic ADD cat-like assistants)

The word on the street is that Graz's true number is about DOUBLE the number listed.

As for the alternate rating thing, I must agree with Damian. I have seen several people come here to SQLTeam and complain because they didn't get the full code provided for them, or worse yet, the get a complete and accurate answer based on the question they ask, and then say, "Oh wait, I left out this KEY component that totally alters the question and invalidates all the time and energy you put into providing me with a nice complete answer." A rating system would also probably punish those people who can post some valuable insight or theory that helps other users but to the original poster is over their head.

Let's stick with what we've got and caveat emptor! (or in simpler terms: test, test, test, and if it's super critical or a major issue like rebuilding a cluster, you'd best be doing more research than just reading one discussion forum... even one as good as SQLTeam).

Go to Top of Page

M.E.
Aged Yak Warrior

539 Posts

Posted - 2002-06-12 : 11:10:59
Congrats Graz

Thanks fer making the best SQL resource on the web

When did we get a street?
quote:
The word on the street is that Graz's true number is about DOUBLE the number listed.

-----------------------
The best answer = just do as rob or page47 say.
Go to Top of Page

Ledell
SQL NASCAR Parsing Chick

107 Posts

Posted - 2002-06-12 : 19:40:42
Way to go! Just starting on SQL, I find this site very helpful. Maybe one day, I'll post a reply somewhere else besides the Yak Corral!

Congrats!

Hey, Fem. Got this code from Rob. It's all on one line. Can you help me out?
Go to Top of Page

AjarnMark
SQL Slashing Gunting Master

3246 Posts

Posted - 2002-06-13 : 11:58:32
quote:

When did we get a street?
quote:

Keep posting, young Yak Master... As you become Aged, the secrets of the SQL universe will open themselves to you...

Go to Top of Page

rrb
SQLTeam Poet Laureate

1479 Posts

Posted - 2002-06-13 : 18:45:50
Congrats & Thanks Graz...saved my butt a few times...

quote:
Needless to say, the code that gets posted is complete shit.

Damian

Oh come on Damian, don't hold back....tell us what you really think!

As for my thoughts on a points system, well, I don't hear too many people here complaining they got #$%! answers (except when they got one from me) - So as they say, if it ain't broke don't let an engineer near it.

--
I hope that when I die someone will say of me "That guy sure owed me a lot of money"
Go to Top of Page

JustinBigelow
SQL Gigolo

1157 Posts

Posted - 2002-06-13 : 19:09:16
Thanks for all the help graz! And more importantly for SQLTeam itself.

Justin
< />

Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -