Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2008)
 Daily SQL ODBC problems

Author  Topic 

colour_indigo
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 2011-10-20 : 04:55:32
Hi All,

We have a server running SQL Express 2008 and we have an ODBC connection to our database. For some reason every day between 0800 and 0810 the ODBC connection droops and fails to connect anymore.

error:
ConnectioN Failed:
SQL State: '01000'
SQL Server Error: 231
[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][Shared
Memory]ConnectionOpen(Connect()).
Connection Failed:
SQL State: '08001'
SQL Server Error: 17
[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][Shared
Memory]SQL server does not exist or access denied.

To rectify the problem we have to restart SQL server.
But before we do that we are able to log in to SQL through management studio, connect to the database, and access all tables. There are no backups running, no errors in the SQL log, and nothing running in our software at the time. There is nothing interesting in windows Event viewer either.

Does anybody have any suggestions of the problem, or to help diagnose it?

Thanks in advance.

Lumbago
Norsk Yak Master

3271 Posts

Posted - 2011-10-20 : 07:09:53
This message is generally given in 3 different situations:
- sql server service is down
- network link is down
- username/password is wrong

Have you verified that the service is actually running or is it stopped? Have you reviewed scheduled tasks?

- Lumbago
My blog-> http://thefirstsql.com/2011/07/08/how-to-find-gaps-in-identity-columns-at-the-speed-of-light/
Go to Top of Page

colour_indigo
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 2011-10-20 : 08:18:52
The SQL server is running, we can still log in to it fine and access tables through the Management studio.

The SQl server is on the same box so can't be network issue.

username and password are correct - as soon as you restart SQL server the ODBC connection is fine.
Go to Top of Page

Lumbago
Norsk Yak Master

3271 Posts

Posted - 2011-10-20 : 08:36:42
What is the server name in the odbc-connection? Is it and ip address, "(local)", a dns-name? And do you have any scheduled job running on or against this server? I'm basically just shooting in the dark here...

- Lumbago
My blog-> http://thefirstsql.com/2011/07/08/how-to-find-gaps-in-identity-columns-at-the-speed-of-light/
Go to Top of Page

colour_indigo
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 2011-10-20 : 08:44:42
I understand.
The ODBC connection is just using 'local' but we have also tried the IP. We don't have anything at all running on the server that we can tell, there are no antivirus scans,backups, scheduled tasks, nothing within out product happening that is special either. But for soem reason at 0800 it breaks! I know its going to be pretty much impossible for you to workout without even seeing the server but just hoping for some suggestions, or ideas that you think it could be.
Is there anything special aboiut express version of SQL that you think could be casuing it?

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

Lumbago
Norsk Yak Master

3271 Posts

Posted - 2011-10-20 : 08:49:27
I'm a little curious about how the sql server behaves when it fails. Can you connect to it using SSMS but not ODBC? Is the service in status "Running" when you are receiving these connection errors? Which driver are you using to connect? You should preferably be using the Native Client...

- Lumbago
Go to Top of Page

colour_indigo
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 2011-10-20 : 09:25:39
SSMS is fine. ODBC can't until restart.
I will check the status tomorrow morning when it blows up again. We are using 'SQL Server' driver.
Go to Top of Page

colour_indigo
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 2011-10-20 : 09:30:09
We did try the Native client also and that couldnt connect when it was broken
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -