Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 Inherited SQL Server 2000

Author  Topic 

LopakaB
Starting Member

22 Posts

Posted - 2011-11-22 : 19:16:25
I am a db developer and NOT an admin... wanted to put that out up front... :)
I inherited a server who had no dba to begin with... it is has default everything... very few indexes, >1K table, >1K sp, 1>vw, couple of functions... looks like old vb naming convention including field names, "strField/intField/etc...". All sp's begin with sp_ .... well i hope you got the idea....

Just wanted a pointer or two as to were to start, I was think the setup... figuring out sometype of schema???? remember NOT DBA...

Any suggestions/books/articles would be extremely helpful...

Thank you

Lopaka

visakh16
Very Important crosS Applying yaK Herder

52326 Posts

Posted - 2011-11-22 : 23:51:38
start with schema then move down to objects. look for best practises and analyse againt them and see what all can be changed with minimal overhead and maintenance effort

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SQL Server MVP
http://visakhm.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

LopakaB
Starting Member

22 Posts

Posted - 2011-11-22 : 23:57:50
thank you....

Lopaka
Go to Top of Page

visakh16
Very Important crosS Applying yaK Herder

52326 Posts

Posted - 2011-11-23 : 00:02:31
wc

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SQL Server MVP
http://visakhm.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2011-11-23 : 03:39:26
What are you after?

1) Its all working OK, need to keep it that way
2) Its all working OK, but some parts are slow and need optimising and/or we need a few more reports / queries
3) Its broken and/or changes are needed, got to figure out how it fits together
4) Something else?

make sure the backups are sound. Get the most recent FULL backup, and restore it on a different machine (a PC will do, but you;'ll obviously have to install SQL, and patch to same version as the Production server).

Then run

DBCC CHECKDB ('MyDatabase') WITH NO_INFOMSGS

which will prove that there are no corruptions in the database - and also that your backup files can be restored.

Make sure backup files are getting stored to tape and offsite etc.

I would recommend getting some baseline performance figures, then if you make changes for any reason you will know whether you have slowed anything down (if they were not performance improvements) or speeded things up (if they were!)

Check on space requirements - so you can record the database file sizes, over time, and see if you are imminently going to run out of disk space

Consider an upgrade to SQL 2008. No point if the database is static, because you'll have to test that everything still works (regression test) but if you need to make any changes you will have better tools, features, and disaster recovery opportunities under SQL 2008.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -