SQL Server Forums
Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | Forum FAQ

Register Now and get your question answered!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Old Forums
 CLOSED - General SQL Server
 complicated query - please HELP !
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Page47
Flowing Fount of Yak Knowledge

USA
2878 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2002 :  11:18:57  Show Profile
Maybe you should ask the decision maker in your organization to give you authorization to contact Frib and inquire about his hourly rate . . .

Just a suggestion.

<O>
Go to Top of Page

kien
Starting Member

27 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2002 :  11:32:17  Show Profile
Dear Page47

for starters, this is a student project, and sorry if i've made you "spoon feed" me.

all the best

Go to Top of Page

Page47

USA
2878 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2002 :  11:45:58  Show Profile
quote:
for starters, this is a student project, and sorry if i've made you "spoon feed" me.

If this is how you feel, you've missed my point. If this is a school project, you'd be much better served by working towards the best solution you can come up with on your own, rather than implementing someone elses better solution that you don't understand.

<O>
Go to Top of Page

AndrewMurphy

Ireland
2916 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2002 :  11:50:58  Show Profile
re #worktable.....and declaring it....it kinda implictly gets declared....

by nature of the SELECT * INTO statement....T-SQL can figure out what sort of data goes into it...(because it knows what data types are coming out of the query).....and thus can create the appropriate table definition....

try a simple "select * into" statement for yourself....or lookup BOL.

re 'student project'....you hid that part very well in the conversations to date....I hope you don't hear a big black nothing from now on.....with all things in life and especially on SQLTeam, there's meant to be an element of "invest some personal equity" in the solution.....because this isn't a homework answering service....(just fyi)....looking for help/pointers along the way is fine, but looking for a full-blown solution means you don't learn at all...and when it comes to the exams, jsut remember we won't be there doing it for you....

do you know the saying....give a man a fish, feed him for a day....teach a man to fish, feed him for life?

finally....if something big is not working or being understood, break the proposed solution down into smaller parts....and get to understand the smaller parts well....

good luck......

Go to Top of Page

kien
Starting Member

27 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2002 :  11:56:06  Show Profile
You are absolutely correct.
In a normal circumstance, I would do exactly what you've recommended. But you have to understand the situation that i'm in.

My task is to implement the best possible solution, in a very limited pressured time span-and this is not as a result of procrastination. I will not be pursuing a career in this field in the future.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SQL Server Forums © 2000-2009 SQLTeam Publishing, LLC Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000