Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 Transact-SQL (2005)
 delete and update every 2 minutes

Author  Topic 

ss123
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2011-12-14 : 10:14:08
Hi,

I have a folder with some data files that I scan (using c#.net) and insert into an sql table using bulk.
I need this to run every 2 minuets but first I have to delete what I have in my table and than add the new data I collected.

What is the best way for doing this in case I don't want the report that runs on this table to fail every time the table is deleting and updating ?

visakh16
Very Important crosS Applying yaK Herder

52326 Posts

Posted - 2011-12-14 : 10:21:41
usually we implement such automated processing using sql agent jobs. Inside job we will have steps to delete the existing data and then do scanning and population part. Once such a job is created, you add a schedule to it to execute every 2 minutes

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SQL Server MVP
http://visakhm.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

ss123
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2011-12-14 : 10:30:53
Thanks, but my problem is not with scheduling this steps, but with the deleting part.

I'm afraid of the case where once I delete and someone will run the report it will get no rows.
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2011-12-14 : 10:40:18
Import into new, temporary-named, table.

DROP old table
RENAME TempTable to original name

Won't work (easily) if you have foreign keys etc. on the original table though.
Go to Top of Page

Bustaz Kool
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

1834 Posts

Posted - 2011-12-14 : 12:17:41
Could you put a transaction around the DELETE/INSERT processing? I'm not sure how the Bulk insert impacts that.

=======================================
Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving that there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof. -John Kenneth Galbraith
Go to Top of Page

ss123
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2011-12-15 : 01:38:47
quote:
Originally posted by Kristen

Import into new, temporary-named, table.

DROP old table
RENAME TempTable to original name

Won't work (easily) if you have foreign keys etc. on the original table though.

Thanks! That exactly what I was looking for!
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -