Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Programming
 Simple Way to Load a Date from Its Parts

Author  Topic 

BobRoberts
Posting Yak Master

109 Posts

Posted - 2011-12-30 : 17:07:09
I'm working with an old table that has a date stored as 3 numeric field3 (FLDYR, FLDMO, FLDDA). I've added a column to this table defined as a smalldatetime field. I'm trying to write a script to load this field from the 3 date fields, but get an error whenever it encounters a year that's a single digit. The error is:

"The conversion of char data type to smalldatetime data type resulted in an out-of-range smalldatetime value."

As it happens, there is no FLDYR in the table greater than "11", so the century would never be "19".

If I could somehow create an edit mask for the FLDYR, then I could translate a "9" year to a "09", as well as an "11" to an "11", but I can't find out if SQL has that capability. As it works now, it's trying to create the year "209" for a "9" year.

Is there a way of doing this that would work?

Here is the update statement:

UPDATE testfile
SET SMALLDATEFIELD = '20'+cast(FLDYR as varchar)+'-'+cast(FLDMO as varchar)+'-'+cast(FLDDA as varchar) + ' 00:00:00'

sunitabeck
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

5155 Posts

Posted - 2011-12-30 : 17:15:27
Would this work for you?
CAST('20' + RIGHT('0'+ CAST(FLDYR*10000+FLDMO*100+FLDDA AS VARCHAR(8)),6) AS SMALLDATETIME)
Go to Top of Page

BobRoberts
Posting Yak Master

109 Posts

Posted - 2011-12-30 : 17:28:28
quote:
Originally posted by sunitabeck

Would this work for you?
CAST('20' + RIGHT('0'+ CAST(FLDYR*10000+FLDMO*100+FLDDA AS VARCHAR(8)),6) AS SMALLDATETIME)

Yes, that works great - thanks!

Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -