Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2005)
 sql server won't accept connections

Author  Topic 

jpotucek
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

273 Posts

Posted - 2012-01-06 : 08:30:30
SQL Server 2005 running on a virtual server with 3GB of memory.

someone inadvertently changed the memory allocation for SQL server and now the CPU is pegged and I cannot connect to SQL Server. When i look at talk manager on the server sql server is using 100% of CPu and 81248k of memory

Can anyone help me in resolving this?

jpotucek

273 Posts

Posted - 2012-01-06 : 08:52:55
I got the full story. I think SQL Server memory configuration was changed from 2GB to 2mb? can anyone help me resolve?
Go to Top of Page

jpotucek

273 Posts

Posted - 2012-01-06 : 09:17:51
Cannot connect to SQL Server via SQLCMD - connection times out. Should I try rebooting the box or stopping\restoring SQL Server? I need to get the memory set back to "sp_configure 'max server memory', 2048"
Go to Top of Page

sunitabeck
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

5155 Posts

Posted - 2012-01-06 : 13:39:01
Wow, I feel bad for you! I would have liked to see some of the DBA experts on this forum comment on how to recover. If I were you, I would try the following in order:

1. Fire the person who changed the setting to 2MB (unless it requires you to fire yourself).

2. On a disposable development server, set the memory to 2MB, shut down/kill the server and then try to start it up with command-line options. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms190737.aspx In particular, I am thinking about the -f option.

3. If the server starts up then set the max memory to 1.5GB or some other recommended value leaving enough for the OS.
Go to Top of Page

jpotucek

273 Posts

Posted - 2012-01-12 : 08:38:15
no one will be fired (and no, it wasn't me :-) It was an unfortunate mistake on a DEV Server.

What we ended up doing was stopped all SQL Server Services and then starting just the engine in minimal configuration mode (-c -f) and then settting the SQL Server memory configuration from 2mb back to 2GB.
Go to Top of Page

sunitabeck
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

5155 Posts

Posted - 2012-01-12 : 08:44:31
I am glad you figured it out, and especially glad you didn't have to fire anyone
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -