Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Programming
 i need help with sql exercise.. pls help!

Author  Topic 

paulpol87
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 2012-02-03 : 10:11:25
The database scheme consists of four tables:
Product(maker, model, type)
PC(code, model, speed, ram, hd, cd, price)
Laptop(code, model, speed, ram, hd, screen, price)
Printer(code, model, color, type, price)
The table "Product" includes information about the maker, model number, and type ('PC', 'Laptop', or 'Printer'). It is assumed that model numbers in the Product table are unique for all the makers and product types. Each PC uniquely specifying by a code in the table "PC" is characterized by model (foreign key referencing to Product table), speed (of the processor in MHz), total amount of RAM - ram (in Mb), hard disk drive capacity - hd (in Gb), CD ROM speed - cd (for example, '4x'), and the price. The table "Laptop" is similar to that one of PCs except for the CD ROM speed, which is replaced by the screen size - screen (in inches). For each printer in the table "Printer" it is told whether the printer is color or not (color attribute is 'y' for color printers; otherwise it is 'n'), printer type (laser, jet, or matrix), and the price.

Find the printer makers which also produce PCs with the lowest RAM and the highest-speed processor among PCs with the lowest RAM. Result set: maker.

My query:
select maker from (select maker, model from product where type in ('printer','pc')) as a where model in (select model from (select model, speed, min(ram) as ram from pc where speed=(select max(speed) from pc) group by speed, model) as a)

Result:
Incorrect.
* Wrong number of records (less by 1)
The results of your query:
maker
A

Correct query:
maker
A
E

I really need your help!! I've been trying since yesterday to sort it out...

visakh16
Very Important crosS Applying yaK Herder

52326 Posts

Posted - 2012-02-03 : 10:54:45
[code]
SELECT p.maker
FROM
(
SELECT *,DENSE_RANK() OVER (ORDER BY ram ASC,speed DESC) AS Rnk
FROM Product p
INNER JOIN (SELECT maker
FROM Product
WHERE type IN ('PC','printer')
GROUP BY maker
HAVING COUNT(DISTINCT type)=2
)p1
ON p1.maker = p.maker
INNER JOIN PC
ON PC.model = p.model
)t
WHERE Rnk=1
[/code]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SQL Server MVP
http://visakhm.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

gmb.dorr
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2013-01-22 : 17:32:39
I'm stuck in this problem too! Anyone help please?
Go to Top of Page

visakh16
Very Important crosS Applying yaK Herder

52326 Posts

Posted - 2013-01-23 : 00:59:23
quote:
Originally posted by gmb.dorr

I'm stuck in this problem too! Anyone help please?

did you try the solution posted?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SQL Server MVP
http://visakhm.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -