Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 Move all databases to a new datacenter

Author  Topic 

franco
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

255 Posts

Posted - 2012-03-09 : 09:00:35
The new data center is almost ready to install new OS (Windows Server 2008 R2) and new SQL Server version (SQL Server 2008 R2 EE).
Right now we have a box (MSCS Cluster) with almost 100 databases on SQL Sever 2000 EE and Windows Server 2003.

Due to the fact that this old HW is out of maintenance, we would like to temporary move this box to the new data center without changing anything.
The idea is to create a new VM (same Windows Server 2003) in the new data center, install on it the same SQL Server 2000 EE with exactly the same parameters of the old one including database and log path, and then:

1. shutdown SQL Server on the old box
2. copy all users databases + system databases master, model and msdb to the new data center in the correct disk path
3. shutdown the new installed SQL Server 2000
4. substitute system db master model and msdb of this new installation with the old ones copied from the old box to maintain logins, jobs, alerts....
5. start up SQL Server on the new data center

Do you think that this can be a practical way?
Any suggestions?

Thank you very much.

Frank

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2012-03-09 : 09:14:53
How long is your downtime window?

In my experience "2. copy all users databases + system databases master, model and msdb to the new data center in the correct disk path" takes a long time (assuming the databases are "big-ish"), and is longer than the Client will allow for downtime.

To work around this we do RESTOREs instead.

BACKUP LOG on old machine (to clear it / reduce its size)
BACKUP FULL on old machine
RESTORE on New machine (using NORECOVERY)

If significant delay until copy-over is ready then also do:
BACKUP LOG on old machine (to clear it / reduce its size)
BACKUP DIFF on old machine
RESTORE the DIFF on New machine (using NORECOVERY)

Then when ready to cut over to new machine:
Set the database to DBO ONLY / READ ONLY and prevent all remote access
BACKUP "Final" LOG on old machine
RESTORE the LOG on New machine (using NORECOVERY)
(There might be earlier logs taken after last FULL/DIFF backup, but before this final LOG backup, restore any such logs first)

Once all restored are done / have been successful then use:

RESTORE DATABASE MyDatabaseName WITH RECOVERY

Set database on New Machine to READ_WRITE and MULTI_USER
Allow users access to the new database

You can still use the copy-over method to set up the machine initially, just some databases (i.e. copied whilst "in use") may not actually "start" until thy have been restored (i.e. if the COPY was whilst the database was in inconsistent state).
Go to Top of Page

franco
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

255 Posts

Posted - 2012-03-09 : 09:52:41
Thank you very much for your reply.
In fact we have only 50GB to move from old HW to the new one.
We can also do the operation during week-end so we have time.

Do you think we can go with the "copy" option?

Kind regards.
Frank

Franco
Go to Top of Page

Jake Shelton
Yak Posting Veteran

74 Posts

Posted - 2012-03-12 : 10:15:01
Kristen, how have you found this method for migration of DTS packages? When last I tried this (MANY moons ago!) I found the packages had all sorts of broken links and essentially had to be recreated at the destination.
Go to Top of Page

russell
Pyro-ma-ni-yak

5072 Posts

Posted - 2012-03-12 : 10:41:55
If you have many DTS packages, you should be using a config file for server references. This way, when you move things, you only update the config file.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -