Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2008)
 Adding Index to existing table - Timeout

Author  Topic 

rocksteer
Yak Posting Veteran

69 Posts

Posted - 2012-03-26 : 11:36:05
Hi,

I recently upgraded from SQL Server 2000 to SQL server 2008.

I used to be able to add/edit indexes to my table and they would be added while I waited.

If I am doing it correctly in SSMS, I added an index but nothing happened until I tried to save the table, then after a short wait, I got a time out message...

- Unable to create index 'I_Date_CD_OPS'.
Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.

I never used to have this problem.

How do I get the index added?

I'd rather not have to go to tranact SQL. Why does the graphical interface not work? Looks like the graphical interface is failing in this area.

Mike

rocksteer
Yak Posting Veteran

69 Posts

Posted - 2012-03-26 : 11:46:52
Also,
When you OK the error message you get...

"User cancelled out of save dialog"
Go to Top of Page

GilaMonster
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

4507 Posts

Posted - 2012-03-26 : 12:52:16
Don't use the GUI 'wizard', it has a stupidly low timeout. Write your CREATE INDEX or ALTER TABLE statement in the query window and run it.

--
Gail Shaw
SQL Server MVP
Go to Top of Page

rocksteer
Yak Posting Veteran

69 Posts

Posted - 2012-03-27 : 04:34:17
And SQL 2008 is supposed to be better than SQL 2000. This is a case where they really put it to the user. Is there a way to change the timeout? I really don't have much facility in writing Alter table or create index statements. In SQL 2000 all you had to do was create the index and wait for it to be created.

Here is a real case in stupidity.
Go to Top of Page

GilaMonster

4507 Posts

Posted - 2012-03-27 : 05:25:30
SQL Server 2008 is way better than SQL Server 2000. Management Studio, not so much.

Learn to write your ALTER TABLE and CREATE INDEX, you'll be a way better developer/DBA for it. You'll also be completely sure about exactly what is being run, which you won't be if you use the GUI.

--
Gail Shaw
SQL Server MVP
Go to Top of Page

rocksteer
Yak Posting Veteran

69 Posts

Posted - 2012-03-27 : 05:31:43
Still negates the reason for a graphical interface.
Go to Top of Page

GilaMonster

4507 Posts

Posted - 2012-03-27 : 08:07:14
No, not at all. GUI's useful to see quickly what you have. I use it all the time to see what columns indexes have in them.

Use it for smaller indexes, use it to make the changes then script them for execution, use it to quickly and easily get columns and names. Just learn to write the T-SQL as well. The GUI cannot do everything

--
Gail Shaw
SQL Server MVP
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -