Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 Troubleshooting wait stats

Author  Topic 

Jake Shelton
Yak Posting Veteran

74 Posts

Posted - 2012-04-01 : 05:45:29
Hi all,

We have a 3rd party tool that highlights 'Session times in seconds" (I presume this means wait stats), but doesn't yield much info as to who is running those sessions and for what purpose.

I know you can run SP_WHO_3 that can provide a pretty good start, but that must first be installed as a stored procedure, for which we'd need to raise a CRF that will take an age to be approved.

Meanwhile, are there any (ad-hoc) queries I can run, or articles/resources that will give me a head start on this problem?

Thanks,

Jake

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2012-04-01 : 14:23:40
Anything wrong with good old master..sysprocesses and sp_who? Without more information about the 3rd party tool, it's really hard to give you any guidance.

SQL 2000? Troubleshooting there, well it ain't so easy. Hopefully you've got an upgrade plan in place.

Tara Kizer
Microsoft MVP for Windows Server System - SQL Server
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/

Subscribe to my blog
Go to Top of Page

Jake Shelton
Yak Posting Veteran

74 Posts

Posted - 2012-04-01 : 15:56:16
Hi Tara, it's Ideera, as for upgrading SQL I agree with you, but that will be a long way off, for various reasons, so I need to work with the situation at hand.

Edit - we have about four sessions running into several thousand seconds in length.
Go to Top of Page

GilaMonster
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

4507 Posts

Posted - 2012-04-01 : 17:27:15
First question - is that a problem? Are those 'sessions running into several thousand seconds in length' causing problems?

and I'll echo Tara's question, anything wrong with sysprocesses and sp_who?

--
Gail Shaw
SQL Server MVP
Go to Top of Page

Jake Shelton
Yak Posting Veteran

74 Posts

Posted - 2012-04-01 : 17:33:41
quote:
Originally posted by GilaMonster

First question - is that a problem? Are those 'sessions running into several thousand seconds in length' causing problems?

No - but I want to see what they are, and take any necessary action, before they become painful

quote:
and I'll echo Tara's question, anything wrong with sysprocesses and sp_who?
--

I'll let you know when I've tried them. :)
Go to Top of Page

Jake Shelton
Yak Posting Veteran

74 Posts

Posted - 2012-04-08 : 08:38:21
Ironically enough, using the above two commands plus InputBuffer, the long-running processes turned out to be nothing more threatening than inserts into a DB audit table!!
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -