Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 SQL 2000- SQL login issue

Author  Topic 

adamdale345
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2012-04-14 : 23:19:39
I have a weird issue. There are a couple of SQL logins (on SQL 2000), I am able to connect to SQL using these logins using SSMS/ Enterprise Manager either locally/ remotely.

These logins are used by a couple of webservers and Filenet. I had run a trace and I see the logins getting failed in the trace file. I was struggling with this issue for the last 36 hours, I couldn't figure out what the issue is. I had deleted the logins and recreated them with the same ID/ password, and the issue didn't get resolved

Can you please give some inputs as to what might be the issue and how this can be resolved? Can I ask them to renter the credentials in all the places they use? If I may ask the app. teams to delete and reenter the credentials, where should I ask them to make the changes? (For ex: Connection string, IIS service etc). Please let me know. Thanks in advance.

sarabpreet12
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 2012-05-01 : 18:34:23
I think you need to first diagnose why the logins are failing?
Reasons could be:
1. Incorrect password.
2. Incorrect Initial Catalog(DB) mentioned in the connection string.

You need not to tell your developers where the login is being used, they must be knowing where a particular Login has been mentioned\Used.

But in case they dont have a track, you can find more using different columns, hostname, application name etc.

quote:
Originally posted by adamdale345

I have a weird issue. There are a couple of SQL logins (on SQL 2000), I am able to connect to SQL using these logins using SSMS/ Enterprise Manager either locally/ remotely.

These logins are used by a couple of webservers and Filenet. I had run a trace and I see the logins getting failed in the trace file. I was struggling with this issue for the last 36 hours, I couldn't figure out what the issue is. I had deleted the logins and recreated them with the same ID/ password, and the issue didn't get resolved

Can you please give some inputs as to what might be the issue and how this can be resolved? Can I ask them to renter the credentials in all the places they use? If I may ask the app. teams to delete and reenter the credentials, where should I ask them to make the changes? (For ex: Connection string, IIS service etc). Please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Sarabpreet Singh Anand
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -