Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Development Tools
 ASP.NET
 scm vexing me on create dataset link to sp

Author  Topic 

graciegram
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2012-04-21 : 17:01:04
I am new to .net programming. When I came to this position, the laptop had Seapine SCM, SQL 2008 and Visual Studio 2008 (not R2). The laptop began having registry errors with every Windows update. Would retry the update and go into a loop. Reimaged the laptop. Copied solutions from laptop before reimage (application work). Copied database from production (under SCM) and placed on laptop after reimage. Copied solutions to laptop after reimage. When I try to write a SQL reports program and compile the stored procedure, I cannot connect to it when I try to make a dataset on the visual studio side. When I scroll down a long list of SQL modules, mine isn't there. I tried looking into disable source control (Tools, Options, on .net) to no avail. I am still getting lower left screen messages about source control and a red X. I thought okay, let's embrace SCM. I installed the Seapine upgrade. Called our staff person. She had no "orders" to install me so I'm a renegade. See my boss. He says I shouldn't be trying to do anything in SCM. So I go to control panel and uninstall. I fear the files I copied from the laptop and installed still have memory about SCM. Is there a way to uninstall all of my code from SCM and "work offline" with everything? I am just trying to get one lousy SQL program connected to one lousy .net report (in a solution) to test and run. I am using a "Solution" with several reports and adding one more. As SCM seems to be bollixing everything, I can't figure out how to proceed. Boss seems to think I should have learned in .net reports class how to connect SQL to .net side. We had Stacia Misner's SQL programs on a disk. Nothing I try works.

Graciegram

sunitabeck
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

5155 Posts

Posted - 2012-04-21 : 18:06:53
I have no familiarity with SCM, so there is nothing I can offer on that side. In your shoes, I would start from scratch and do the following:

1. Open up SQL Management Studio, connect to the server, and see if you are able to run the stored procedure successfully. I would imagine that it should produce data similar to what you would see in the report.

2. Start a brand new Visual Studio reporting services project, with no bells and whistles, without involving SCM, and create simple report that uses the stored procedure. Even a report wizard project would be sufficient.

Once you are successful in 1 and 2, then you know the problem is the interaction with SCM. As I said, before that is foreign to me.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -