Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 Other SQL Server Topics (2005)
 SQL 2005 sp debug on a remote server

Author  Topic 

Auris
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 2012-05-21 : 07:12:50
Hi everyone,

i have been playing with sql debuging for like 4 hours and still i have no luck to get it working. So here is the software i am using

Server: Win2003 server / sql 2005
My Machine: Win 7 Enterprise / VS 2010 sp1

config: tcp 135 is opened on my machine, vs 2010 included to firewall exception list allowed on all networks (domain/public/home), my machine and server connected throught VPN, firewall on server is disabled so no configuration there. Also i use domain account to connect to sql via visual studio 2010. this account is included into sysadmin role.

no ipsec is used in the connection to the server so no need to open udp ports right?

what is the problem here? i am getting Transact-SQL execution ended without debugging. You may not have sufficient permissions to debug message!

any ideas what did i miss?

this is urgent i have a couple of procs with a lot bussiness logic in them, its like 2500-3000 lines of sql in single of those, i need this debug feature to work or i am dead :) help me out guys.

Thank you.

Life is hard. It's even harder if you're stupid.

Auris
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 2012-05-21 : 09:23:51
ok so this is how i got it to work.

Configure remote debugging for SQL 2005

Server Configuration:

1.Add domain account that is used to connect to the server to sysadmins role.

2.Install and launch Visual Studio Remote Debugger 2010 (x86 or x64) depends on the operation system. Launch it on network service account.

3.Open TCP port 135 both ways on Server (firewall was disabled by default, so this worked)

Client Configuration:

1.Open TCP ports 135 and 54937 (dynamic) in windows firewall. (doesn’t work, need to turn off the firewall for DOMAIN network)

2.Disable pooling on SQL connection, that just doesn’t work with Debugger.

3.Put checkmarks on Application Debugging / Allow SQL/CLR debugging

4.Add devenv to the firewall exceptions list.

some of this migth look inconsistent, like adding firewall exception then disabling the firewall for domain but its just doesnt work other way.

for some reason the firewall log states that i got droped connection for TCP port like 593xx and every time i debug sql procedure i got different port, trafic doesnt comes back to port TCP 135 as the MS documentation states. I have no idea what to do execept for leaving the firewall off for the domain network, and same on the server.

this is only testing enviroment server that is linked to our workspacec via VPN so it should be fine, but its not best practice i assume.

Please make comments on this and any kind of suggesstions are welcome and appriciated.

Life is hard. It's even harder if you're stupid.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -