Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Administration
 A Problem With The MSDB Database?

Author  Topic 

sodadrinka
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2012-06-18 : 12:12:21
I was trying to backup the database for 123Pet (a software used for collecting information about clients and pets) and it gave me this error message:

An error occurred while attempting to backup the dtabase. Database 'msdb' cannot be opened due to inaccessible files or insufficient memory or disk space. See the SQL Server errorlog for details.
Could not insert a backup or restore history/detail record in the msdb database. This may indicate a problem with the msdb dtabase. The backup/restore operation was still successful.

Now, I believe I have the space available for such a backup seeing as so much of my computer space is still open. I've enabled all the connections in the Configuration Manager and I set my connections to local and remote using both TCP/IP and named pipes. I don't know if that matters, but I tried to search around a bit and no tutorials really helped me so if you could give me any advice please do so.

As you might have guessed, I'm not an expert at this. So if you need any extra information to diagnose the problem, please ask me for it.

nigelrivett
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3385 Posts

Posted - 2012-06-18 : 12:29:51
When you take a backup it adds a row to a table in msdb (a system database). Sounds like yoou may have run out of space on the drive that holds the msdb files.
Hopefully not something more serious.

==========================================
Cursors are useful if you don't know sql.
SSIS can be used in a similar way.
Beer is not cold and it isn't fizzy.
Go to Top of Page

sodadrinka
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2012-06-18 : 15:52:04
I searched MSDB in my computer and these are the files I found and their respected sizes. I don't know how to enter them and make them smaller, nor do I know if these are even abnormally large sizes for such files.

msdbdata__________________8,128KB
MSDBData_log______________504KB
msdblog___________________6,272KB
instmsdb__________________1,114KB
msdbdata__________________4,992KB
msdblog(from template)____2,048KB
Go to Top of Page

jackv
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2179 Posts

Posted - 2012-06-19 : 01:41:01
The size of the msdb db - will depend on how much clean up and maintenace you apply on the database. For example, history information is maintained , which from time to time you may prune.
The drive which has the the databases - does it have sufficient space? Are there any other drives with insufficient space on the server?

Jack Vamvas
--------------------
http://www.sqlserver-dba.com
Go to Top of Page

prett
Posting Yak Master

212 Posts

Posted - 2012-06-19 : 02:35:24
“An error occurred while attempting to backup the dtabase. Database 'msdb' cannot be opened due to inaccessible files or insufficient memory or disk space. See the SQL Server errorlog for details”-
Due to this error you may suffer with these issues: Suspected Database, Database Operation Ceased, Database Stopped transactions.
Use following steps to fix this error:

1) If possible add more hard drive space either by removing of unnecessary files from hard drive or add new hard drive with larger size.
2) Check if the database is set to Autogrow on.
3) Check if the account which is trying to access the database has enough permission to perform operation.
4) Make sure that .mdf and .ldf file are not marked as read only on operating system file system level.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -