Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2008)
 How do I restrict the amount of CPU on sql server

Author  Topic 

mary_itohan
Posting Yak Master

191 Posts

Posted - 2012-07-08 : 19:01:15
hello guys,
we are running a 24 core SERVER CPU, and due to licesnsing costs, we want to restrict the amount of CPU cores that will run sql server.

I have done a google search, but not totally satisfied with what I am seeing. So in EM, I clicked on the instance and choose properties. And Under Enable processors >> Automatically set processor affinity mask for all processors.

Which then enables the check boxes and I removed 5 out of 6.

Is this correct ? as if i click on properties, I still see 24 CPUs ???

please advise

many thanks

Yes O !

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2012-07-09 : 07:16:21
In order to properly comply with the license, the CPUs must be disabled or removed, setting the affinity mask is NOT sufficient. Check with your Microsoft licensing rep to be sure, they will answer any questions you have. (Call your local or regional Microsoft office)
Go to Top of Page

jeffw8713
Aged Yak Warrior

819 Posts

Posted - 2012-07-09 : 14:00:48
Also be aware that SQL Server is licensed based on the number of sockets - not the cores. For processor licensing with 24 cores (4 hex core processors) you only need 4 processor licenses.
Go to Top of Page

sarathi
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2012-07-16 : 05:59:05
Are you using sql 2008?
In sql server 2008, we have option resource governor and using that you can restrict the CPU & memory for SQL server processeses

Regards

Vijayasarathi
Go to Top of Page

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2012-07-16 : 06:56:09
Using Resource Governor won't affect the licensing requirements though.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -