Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2008)
 SQL Server - Connectivity Issue

Author  Topic 

whizkidgps
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 2012-07-18 : 06:46:07
In my production environment, when connection was established to SQL DB server got the following errors.

"A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)”

I've followed the following steps to fix this issue:

1. Verified SQL server credentials, TCP\IP and Named piped server protocols are enabled, Allow remote connection option is enabled - All seems to be fine.

2. Check two instances of SQL Service running correctly and both the services are in started status.

3. In My Production server has two instances. 1) DEV & PROD. I tried by connecting my application thru DEV instance and connection was established successfully. When I tried by connecting my application with PROD instance it throws above said error.

4. I put a sample application to check DB connection status with DEV instances and connection was established successfully, where as I'm getting an above said error when tried by connecting PROD instance.

5. Finally, I re-booted my application & db server, and then tried by connecting with PROD instance and connection was established successfully.

I'm wondering, how the re-booting of application & DB server could solve connectivity issue.

Both my application & DB servers are running in Windows Server 2008 and the windows updates alert keep on being asked everytime logged in that machine.By default, we will be postphoned the windows updates. Today only, we re-booted the machine and I believe due to windows updates my DB server connection was not established between my application & Db server.

Is that could be the reason for this error? Please let me know if anyone has other views on it.

Thanks.
Whizkid.

prett
Posting Yak Master

212 Posts

Posted - 2012-07-19 : 05:39:53
This is a very general error, indicating that the client can't figure out where the server is or SQL Server isn't responding. Start with this short tutorial that covers the most common problems: Tutorial: Getting Started with the Database Engine http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms345318.aspx
Also check this article: http://blog.sqlauthority.com/2009/05/21/sql-server-fix-error-provider-named-pipes-provider-error-40-could-not-open-a-connection-to-sql-server-microsoft-sql-server-error/
Go to Top of Page

whizkidgps
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 2012-07-20 : 02:22:13
I agreed that this is a general error and I've verified SQL Server connectivity after checking each steps as said in my description. But each time, I've not established connection to my DB server and all the time getting same error. Finally, re-booted my DB server and checked again, this time able to connect my SQL server without any error.

Is re-booting my DB server solve my DB connection problem? If so then how? Was any SQL server config file getting updated after re-booting? This is what I requested from my queries in this forum.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -