Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Old Forums
 CLOSED - General SQL Server
 With respect to Linked Server

Author  Topic 

AskSQLTeam
Ask SQLTeam Question

0 Posts

Posted - 2002-07-15 : 08:22:22
Montesh writes "Situation: Link Oracle Database to SQL Server 2000

I have been succesful to link Oracle Server to SQL Server 2000 "using the Microsoft Ole DB provider for Oracle"
now i am unable to fire the following
"Select OLinkServer.OraDatabase.User.TABLE " from the query analyser of the SQL SErver where the OradDatabase is linked to

please let me know all the possible ways to overcome the problems

I have already checked for the case sesitivity, the login issue , the registry settings given on the Microsoft Site but all in vain.

If there could something i have missed possibly let me know"

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2002-07-15 : 09:05:50
I've found that when creating a linked server to Oracle sources, I need to include a full OLE DB provider string for both the product name and provider string settings:

sp_addlinkedserver @server = 'LinkedServerName',
@srvproduct = 'Provider=MSDORA;Data Source=OracleServerName;User ID=username;Password=password;Initial Catalog=OracleDBName',
@provider = 'MSDORA',
@datasrc = 'OracleServerName',
@provstr = 'Provider=MSDORA;Data Source=OracleServerName;User ID=username;Password=password;Initial Catalog=OracleDBName',
@catalog = 'OracleDBName'

I know it's redundant to have to do all that, but it was the only way for me to get it to connect properly.

Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -