Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Old Forums
 CLOSED - General SQL Server
 Job Market - SQL Server

Author  Topic 

ramdas
Posting Yak Master

181 Posts

Posted - 2002-07-15 : 12:42:34
Hi folks,
How is the job market for SQL Server DBA/Developer? Is it possible to apply for jobs out of state. I see at lot of advt's which carry the line: prefer only local candidates: How would one handle this situation.

Thank you
Bye

Ramdas Narayanan
SQL Server DBA

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2002-07-15 : 12:59:44
Yes, you can certainly look for out-of-state positions. What they usually mean is that the hiring company will not pay for you to relocate, if you do indeed need to relocate. The same applies if you live in another country and need a work visa or permit; they won't officially sponsor you. Basically if you want the job, and any of these issues apply, you have to be able to handle them on your own.

In the Atlanta GA area, well, things could be better. It could just be that I smell bad and no one wants hire me.

Truthfully though, I've heard more than one recruiter tell me that this is the worst job market he or she has ever seen, especially for tech and computer positions are concerned, even more so for developers. Many corporations cannot afford to add new features or expand their technology segments, and at most simply need people to administer what they have now.

Go to Top of Page

ramdas
Posting Yak Master

181 Posts

Posted - 2002-07-15 : 13:40:06
Hi,
Thanks for the reply. I do agree with your viewpoint about atlanta,georgia
Take Care
Bye

Ramdas Narayanan
SQL Server DBA
Go to Top of Page

Page47
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2878 Posts

Posted - 2002-07-15 : 14:12:00
quote:

I do agree with your viewpoint about atlanta,georgia

Was that the "things could be better" part or the "smell bad" part ... or both?

<O>

Edited by - Page47 on 07/15/2002 14:12:37
Go to Top of Page

ramdas
Posting Yak Master

181 Posts

Posted - 2002-07-15 : 14:24:38
Hi,
Both.
Bye

Ramdas Narayanan
SQL Server DBA
Go to Top of Page

nr
SQLTeam MVY

12543 Posts

Posted - 2002-07-15 : 14:47:18
quote:

Truthfully though, I've heard more than one recruiter tell me that this is the worst job market he or she has ever seen, especially for tech and computer positions are concerned, even more so for developers.

Think this is the same as the last recession (oops - sorry politicians are saying we're not in a recession or comming out of it aren't we) where a lot of contractors (or permies) with very little experience and who had bluffed there way into jobs are now dropping out of the market. Any advert for jobs gets swamped with replies from a lot of people who aren't really appropriate and the recruitment services can't cope.
People with experience are still in demand - the problem is getting noticed in the crowd.

Telecoms industry running out of cash is changing the area of focus though.

Recruiters will say that the rates have dropped dramatically - what they mean is that junior staff are now willing to work an appropriate rate.

==========================================
Cursors are useful if you don't know sql.
Beer is not cold and it isn't fizzy.
Go to Top of Page

nr
SQLTeam MVY

12543 Posts

Posted - 2002-07-15 : 14:52:13
As an aside I see a lot of systems in the last couple of years being developed by people with very little relevent experience and making a lot of poor design decisions. This is exacerbated by sql server now being a lot more tolerant of bad design.
I can see a lot of systems falling over in the next few years.

Already a lot of requests are 'can you redesign this system which has stopped working' rather than 'can you design us a new system'.

Go to Top of Page

Page47

2878 Posts

Posted - 2002-07-15 : 15:11:14
quote:

quote:

Truthfully though, I've heard more than one recruiter tell me that this is the worst job market he or she has ever seen, especially for tech and computer positions are concerned, even more so for developers.

... who had bluffed there way into jobs ...

Guilty as charged ...

I think all of NRs very valid comments are undermined by the fact that many hiring managers (not to mention 90% of db professionals) don't actually understand the data tier...Fabian Pascal makes some compelling arguements to this fact....what's worse, the market is flooded with people who claim to be experts in both applications dev and database. How many job adds to you see for "Expert in database design, administration and C++"? These posers get hired in an attempt to kill two birds with one paycheck, but at the end of the day, only produce poorly constructed data tiers that not only expose the physical database design to the application, but make it dependent on the app. This is the very reason why we see this current fad towards XMLDBMS or OODBMS, which in most cases, is simply a throw-back to the ye old days o' hierarchical dbs. It takes a different kind of thinking to do relations and in my option, its harder. Hiring managers and applications developers refuse to believe/accept this. So a good database professional is either an outcast in the organization, or secretly plotting ways to do things right, without anyone noticing...

<O>
Go to Top of Page

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2002-07-15 : 15:24:43
quote:
I can see a lot of systems falling over in the next few years.

Already a lot of requests are 'can you redesign this system which has stopped working' rather than 'can you design us a new system'.
Hmmmmmm, sorta like Y2K all over again. So in effect, in a year or two, SQL Server developers could once again party like it's 1999!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Go to Top of Page

Page47

2878 Posts

Posted - 2002-07-15 : 15:31:47
I've posted this b4, but I still think its hilarious . . .

<O>
Go to Top of Page

nr
SQLTeam MVY

12543 Posts

Posted - 2002-07-15 : 16:45:54
quote:

Hmmmmmm, sorta like Y2K all over again. So in effect, in a year or two, SQL Server developers could once again party like it's 1999!

Nope, Y2K was a con in most places and didn't take a lot of talent to solve problems - main thing was organising the testing and making sure that no one spotted that the systems weren't critical and could happily be down for a few days or work with the wrong date set. Then getting a lot of high paid junior staff to do the drudge work changing things.
This is going to be holding up databases and applications and migrating them to a reasonable design without loss of service.

Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -