Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2008)
 execution credentials

Author  Topic 

influent
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

367 Posts

Posted - 2012-08-02 : 15:06:06
I'm using SQL Server 2008 R2 to execute a backup command that will create a backup file on a remote share from my production server. The credentials it's using are PRODSERVER$ rather than those of my domain user when using Management Studio. The same happens when using a job even though the job owner is set to my domain user (the job is just a t-sql script). ???? My only guess is that it's using the Local System account as that's what is set as the credential for the SQL Server service (not the agent, the agent is using my domain user). Unfortunately I need this figured out today so any help would be greatly appreciated.

sql-lover
Yak Posting Veteran

99 Posts

Posted - 2012-08-04 : 00:41:46
You cannot use Local System for that as such user has no access to other machine.

Setup a SQL job and run it with an account that already has permissions on that server or share.

Usually the account that it's being used for the SQL service it's the one that needs the access. So if you are using a Domain Account, try to set that account on the share so the job can successfully read and write and hence, create the backup file there.

Go to Top of Page

influent
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

367 Posts

Posted - 2012-08-10 : 12:33:21
I think you are misunderstanding. I did set up a job with the owner as the domain account and the only step was a t-sql script, but it still used the local system credentials.
Go to Top of Page

Bustaz Kool
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

1834 Posts

Posted - 2012-08-10 : 17:52:41
Your assumption is correct. No matter what security context the SQL Job is running under, the actual Database Backup is always performed using the security context that the SQL Server Service is using; in your case Local System. If that account doesn't have access to the remote file resource, you'll need a different approach. One alternative would be to change the SQL Server Service account. Another would be to backup to a local file and then let the SQL Job perform the file transfer to the remote resource.

=================================================
Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you. -Carl Jung, psychiatrist (1875-1961)
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -