Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 Database Design and Application Architecture
 Use of Nulls in a composit key

Author  Topic 

itmasterw
Yak Posting Veteran

90 Posts

Posted - 2012-08-22 : 13:30:46
Hi,
Can someone tell me please if I am right here. If you are looking to have a unique key, and you take two columns to make a unique key, but one of th ecolumns have nulls in it; then it is not a unique key.
Example:
ID number, Reference number
Null , 1256
10456 , Null

you could not say this is not a unique could you?
Thank you

ITM

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2012-08-22 : 13:37:20
If both columns are part of the key, then that example would still be unique, because different columns are null.
Go to Top of Page

itmasterw
Yak Posting Veteran

90 Posts

Posted - 2012-08-22 : 13:54:41
Thanks for getting back to me so fast.
What if, as I am see a number occrences of, there are multiple cases of this:
Null , 1256
Null , 1256
Null , 1256
In the table
Would this still be unique?

ITM
Go to Top of Page

xhostx
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

277 Posts

Posted - 2012-08-22 : 13:56:09
This is of it like this:

- unique key = unique index +null (possible)
- primary key = unique index + not null constraint

--------------------------
Joins are what RDBMS's do for a living
Go to Top of Page

itmasterw
Yak Posting Veteran

90 Posts

Posted - 2012-08-22 : 14:28:14
Thanks

ITM
Go to Top of Page

dportas
Yak Posting Veteran

53 Posts

Posted - 2012-09-03 : 14:50:53
The set of columns in a UNIQUE constraint isn't necessarily a key. Keys by definition don't permit nulls and so a column that permits nulls can't be part of any key.

SQL Server's UNIQUE constraint behaves differently from UNIQUE constraints in standard SQL. In ISO Standard SQL, a UNIQUE constraint actually permits duplicate rows if any of its columns includes a null. SQL Server UNIQUE constraints do not permit duplicate rows - nulls are instead treated as equal values for the purpose of evaluating whether the constraint is violated or not.

I highly recommend you avoid nulls in UNIQUE constraints. You can always redesign it without the nulls by creating the constraint on a new table and then only populating that table with the non-nullable values.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -