Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 Transact-SQL (2005)
 Bulk Insert with missing columns in row

Author  Topic 

JAdauto
Posting Yak Master

160 Posts

Posted - 2012-08-22 : 13:52:17
I have the following bulk insert

BULK INSERT #Data
FROM ''' + @FilePathName + '''
WITH
(
FIELDTERMINATOR = '','',
ROWTERMINATOR = ''\n'',
FIRSTROW = 2
)

but, I have a file that Im importing that sometimes has a couple of bad rows of data, for example, it might be missing the price column on row 5. (price and comma both).
Is there a way to check each row of data to see if it has a valid number of columns?
Thanks!

xhostx
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

277 Posts

Posted - 2012-08-22 : 14:15:40
Do you have to use the bulk insert?
Import/Export Wizard can do the job.
it will allow you to specify the TextQualifier.

--------------------------
Joins are what RDBMS's do for a living
Go to Top of Page

visakh16
Very Important crosS Applying yaK Herder

52326 Posts

Posted - 2012-08-22 : 14:29:30
quote:
Originally posted by JAdauto

I have the following bulk insert

BULK INSERT #Data
FROM ''' + @FilePathName + '''
WITH
(
FIELDTERMINATOR = '','',
ROWTERMINATOR = ''\n'',
FIRSTROW = 2
)

but, I have a file that Im importing that sometimes has a couple of bad rows of data, for example, it might be missing the price column on row 5. (price and comma both).
Is there a way to check each row of data to see if it has a valid number of columns?
Thanks!

if its missing delimiter also then it would be difficult. If you've a blank place holder it will work fine. how is this file generated?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SQL Server MVP
http://visakhm.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

JAdauto
Posting Yak Master

160 Posts

Posted - 2012-08-23 : 09:39:31
Im not sure how file is generated. We recieve it from 3rd party.
It is using Bulk insert now, but that is how I inhereted the code. Im not completely locked into that, although Im trying to make the least amount of invasive changes as possible.
Go to Top of Page

visakh16

52326 Posts

Posted - 2012-08-23 : 10:05:52
quote:

Im not sure how file is generated. We recieve it from 3rd party.
It is using Bulk insert now, but that is how I inhereted the code. Im not completely locked into that, although Im trying to make the least amount of invasive changes as possible.

if intermediate columns are missing without place holders then its really difficult to process it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SQL Server MVP

Go to Top of Page

JAdauto
Posting Yak Master

160 Posts

Posted - 2012-10-09 : 16:10:22
I know this issue is old, but Im back to it. I have the following example in my CSV

LastName,FirstName,Number,Size
Doe,John,101,Med
Doe,Jane, 102,Med
Williams,Frank,201,Large
Williams,202,Large
Howard,Henry,301,Small

Notice that record #4 is missing the FirstName column completely (comma is missing as well).

I run BulkCopy to import that into a temp table and then evaluate data and insert into a permanent table. the Columns of my permanent table include the following fields:

lastname, firstname, number, size, active

The real probably I am having is not that the record #4 is not inserting as it should (bad data). The issue I am having is that record #5 is jacked up because of record #4 and then inputs a 0 into Active for record #5.

Has anyone seen anything like this before where the record following a bad row gets also messed up?

Go to Top of Page

visakh16

52326 Posts

Posted - 2012-10-09 : 22:58:42
quote:

I know this issue is old, but Im back to it. I have the following example in my CSV

LastName,FirstName,Number,Size
Doe,John,101,Med
Doe,Jane, 102,Med
Williams,Frank,201,Large
Williams,202,Large
Howard,Henry,301,Small

Notice that record #4 is missing the FirstName column completely (comma is missing as well).

I run BulkCopy to import that into a temp table and then evaluate data and insert into a permanent table. the Columns of my permanent table include the following fields:

lastname, firstname, number, size, active

The real probably I am having is not that the record #4 is not inserting as it should (bad data). The issue I am having is that record #5 is jacked up because of record #4 and then inputs a 0 into Active for record #5.

Has anyone seen anything like this before where the record following a bad row gets also messed up?

I think the only way in such cases is to pull entire row of data into a single column table and then use a parsing logic based on , delimiter to get individual values out.

SQL Server MVP

Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -