Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 Replication (2008)
 Snapshot error in replication

Author  Topic 

csaha
Yak Posting Veteran

52 Posts

Posted - 2012-08-29 : 16:44:18
Date 8/29/2012 3:38:06 PM
Log Job History (DEVWINSQL4-AbraHRMS_Live-snapshot_repl_AbraHRMS_Live-3)

Step ID 3
Server DEVWINSQL4
Job Name DEVWINSQL4-AbraHRMS_Live-snapshot_repl_AbraHRMS_Live-3
Step Name Detect nonlogged agent shutdown.
Duration 00:00:00
Sql Severity 16
Sql Message ID 8152
Operator Emailed
Operator Net sent
Operator Paged
Retries Attempted 0

Executed as user: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE. String or binary data would be truncated. [SQLSTATE 22001] (Error 8152). The step failed.

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2012-08-29 : 16:52:54
Your schema is different between the publisher and the subscriber.

Tara Kizer
Microsoft MVP for Windows Server System - SQL Server
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/

Subscribe to my blog
Go to Top of Page

csaha
Yak Posting Veteran

52 Posts

Posted - 2012-08-30 : 10:55:23
It was actually the permission issue. Ones that was built we had the the above error message was eliminated.
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2012-08-30 : 12:51:24
Cool, glad you got it sorted out. I think that error is very, very odd for a permission issue.

Tara Kizer
Microsoft MVP for Windows Server System - SQL Server
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/

Subscribe to my blog
Go to Top of Page

thebrawn
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2013-07-23 : 12:18:02
I am getting the same error...

Here is the details:
-Snapshot Replication
-Over 10,000 articles
-Source production database replicates to reporting database on different server
-Runs under SQL Server agent account

I have run redgate SQL Compare and it shows 22723 identical objects, therefore both databases have exact same schema, but I am getting string or binary data would be truncated when trying to run the snapshot job and it fails! I would say maybe permissions, but it seems odd to me as well to get that error for a permission issue...And another thing, using same servers, I also have snapshot replication set up on a different database to replicate to the same reporting server under the same permissions and I have had no issues with it whatsoever!

Can someone enlighten me? Should I change the agent security with a different user/password?
Go to Top of Page

robsch
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2016-01-04 : 12:41:08
I'm also getting this error, using Transactional Replication on SQL 2012.
But I've got a question on the proposed solution to compare schemas.
Isn't the scope of the snapshot agent just to copy the publisher data to the distribution server as text files in the "ReplData" folder? It would be the distribution agent that would notice schema mismatches.

It seems to me that the only data insert or update happening during a Snapshot agent run would be to the system tables in Distribution, and possibly on the publisher.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -