Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2005)
 How to run trace and get tuning suggestions?

Author  Topic 

mitin
Yak Posting Veteran

81 Posts

Posted - 2012-09-17 : 05:20:43
Hi, I am trying to run a trace using the "tuning" template, this creates a file on my desktop, which I believe I then point the "tuning wizard" tool at to use to make suggestions as to how the database can be tuned to increase performance. My problem is the "make suggestions" part, I only want a list of suggestions as to how the database could be tuned (im specifically looking at whether better indexing could be put in place) and then if I want to go ahead and actually do the suggestions then I can, but I dont seem to see an option so that the wizard only makes suggestions, it seems to be implying that If I go ahead and run it then it is actually going to go and change the database.

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to just get the list of suggestions rather than alter things? what option am I missing here? am i doing things correctly?

Many Thanks Guys.

fazle_rabbee
Yak Posting Veteran

63 Posts

Posted - 2012-09-26 : 15:17:16
Go to Profiler, Create a trace file to save on a drive. Go to Database tuning wizard and select the trace file to analyze. After completion the advisor will show what will be the best for tuning.

fazle rabbee
Go to Top of Page

lionofdezert
Aged Yak Warrior

885 Posts

Posted - 2012-09-27 : 09:41:07
Using Tuning wizard not that simple as it looks, thats most of the time you can get WRONG suggestions. So, from SQL Profiler trace, find out costly quries. You can judge it by Duration,CPU and READS columns. Pick costliest queries or stored procedure call and examine graphical execution plan in SQL Server Mangement Studio. Here you can find, which part of query need to be modified for performance or which index you need to apply.
Unfortunatly, no shortcut for query performance optimization task.

--------------------------
http://connectsql.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -