Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2005)
 Error 7302 connecting to Linked server db2oledb

Author  Topic 

Rimsky
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - 2012-09-20 : 04:47:53
Hi all,
I have a puzzeling problem. I can't get a successful connection to a AS400 DB2 database.
Here's the setup:
SQL2005 SP4 in VMWARE W2K3 sp3. Connection setup, tested and ok.
SQL2005 SP4 Instance3 in Active Cluster W2K3 SP3. Connection setup, tested and ok.
SQL2005 SP4 Instance2 in Active Cluster W2K3 SP3. Connection setup, tested and ok.

SQL2005 SP4 Instance1 in Active Cluster W2K3 SP3. Connection setup, tested and failed.

On each of the sql servers I installed db2oledb from the same source successfully. On each server I can connect using the Data Access Tool.

Only on Instance1 I get a connection error. I have unset and set the AllowInProcess option to no avail.

Any ideas to get this working?
Since the Linked Server is working on other (identical) servers, I can get to the data, but not from Instance1. Don't think I can do a [link-server].[linked-server] connection?

Here's the connection error:

===================================

"The test connection to the linked server failed."

An exception occurred while executing a Transact-SQL statement or batch. (Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionInfo)

------------------------------
Program Location:

at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Common.ServerConnection.ExecuteNonQuery(String sqlCommand, ExecutionTypes executionType)
at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.ExecutionManager.ExecuteNonQuery(String cmd)
at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.LinkedServer.TestConnection()
at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.ObjectExplorer.LinkedServerConnectionTest.Invoke()

Cannot create an instance of OLE DB provider "DB2OLEDB" for linked server "ENIACDB2". (.Net SqlClient Data Provider)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&ProdVer=09.00.5000&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=7302&LinkId=20476

Server Name: TECHCYB1-SQL01\TECH01
Error Number: 7302
Severity: 16
State: 1
Procedure: sp_testlinkedserver
Line Number: 1

Program Location:

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)
at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteNonQueryTds(String methodName, Boolean async)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.InternalExecuteNonQuery(DbAsyncResult result, String methodName, Boolean sendToPipe)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteNonQuery()
at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Common.ServerConnection.ExecuteNonQuery(String sqlCommand, ExecutionTypes executionType)

- Advertisement -