Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Administration
 SQL Query Timed Out

Author  Topic 

JSG_Martin
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 2012-09-24 : 10:24:42
Hi

We are looking to upgrade our current SQL and Server, at the minute a lot of our larger tables (2-3 million rows) are timing out when I attempt to do simply queries such as selecting the transactions from the current year. We currently have a 6 year old server, could the timing out be due to the number of the rows? I have just looked and the server only has 4 GB of RAM would increasing this allow for more Memory to process the query as well as the whole running of the server? Or would it be simpier and more effective to get a new Server and keep the old as a backup or File Server? Or is there a better method?

Thanks for any advice offered.

Abu-Dina
Posting Yak Master

206 Posts

Posted - 2012-09-24 : 10:59:30
I wouldn't splash the cash just yet.
2-3 million records is not huge number really.

Are you querying the data in SSMS? How long before it times out?

Without knowing what's on the Server and how much SQL Server is used, it'd difficult to comment on the size of RAM but adding more RAM may not necessarily solve your problem in the long run.
Go to Top of Page

m.esteghamat
Starting Member

47 Posts

Posted - 2012-09-25 : 02:07:20
Hi
Can you say
- Windows server version?
- Sql server version ?
- Your specific tables have specific Field such as Binary and you use Select * ?
thank you
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -