Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Administration
 Connection Pooling on WinXP vs Win7

Author  Topic 

JWZ
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2012-09-25 : 14:24:51
I have a vb.net client server app that runs fine on WinXP. On Win7, the same app throws a Timeout due to the Max Pool Size being reached.

Watching the pooled connections in SSMS, when the app is running on WinXP, the number of pooled connections raises and falls, like you'd expect.

On Win7, the number of pooled connections keeps growing until it reaches the maximum.

This is the exact same exe file. The only difference is the client it's running on. When I put a MsgBox in my application to stop it after processing 200 records, using SSMS, I see the following:

WinXP - 24 pooled connections
Win7 - 68 pooled connections

In SSMS I can that some of the existing connections appear to be reused on Win7, but the number just grows so fast that it hits the 100 connection number before it has a chance to either clean up old connections, or reuse existing ones. On the WinXP client, the number of pooled connections grows much more slowly and peaks around 70.

I'm at the edge of my knowledge on Pooled Connections.

Are there settings on Win7 that would affect this behavior?

Should I simply keep setting the ConnectionString pooled connections value high enough so that the limit isn't reached? (This feels like a kluge to me, but maybe it's what I have to do.)

Thanks for the help on this.

Joel

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2012-09-25 : 14:31:02
Sounds like a driver issue. I would recommend getting to the latest hotfix or whatever for the SQL driver you are using.

Tara Kizer
Microsoft MVP for Windows Server System - SQL Server
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/

Subscribe to my blog
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -