SQL Server Forums
Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | Forum FAQ
 
Register Now and get your question answered!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 Database Design and Application Architecture
 Final Year University project
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

phil5p
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2012 :  09:39:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HI All,

Hopefully I can gain some ideas from some of you guys. I am in my final year of university and have a proposed a final year project idea.

The project is to include the core modules of my degree, Business Information Systems:

Databases
Web Development
Systems Analysis and Design
Network Technologies


The idea if have in mind is similar to a piece of software I touched upon while on placement last year. The software was a Business Continuaty Plan / Disaster Recovery tool.

In simplest form. An email was sent to all employees of the business asking for a reply via email saying "Yes I am OK".

If a message was not received from the employee an automated phone-call was made asking the employee to respond by pressing 1 for yes, 2 for no.

All information was then available live on a simple web browser tool.

My idea is to create something similar to this tool and I would appreciate some help with how I could achieve such a system.

Two items specific to my course would be the use of SQL server and programming (Web Page) in ASP.NET C#.

The part I am stuck with would be how I could link such a system together. All idea's would be very much welcomed!

Thanks!


PS wanted to make something slightly more interesting than the usual Business Information System Database linked to a web page.

LoztInSpace
Aged Yak Warrior

940 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2012 :  02:27:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You do realise that DRP/BCP is usually something undertaken during a massive loss of availability of IT systems? Such things are more often than not manual or paper-based processes for a good reason! Your admins will know if your email system is up or down - same with phone system. If your DR is up to scratch then everything works as normal while the admins address the broken bits.
I suppose you could record employees OK state by simply bringing up a simple site on some hosted infrastructure that emails each employee at their private email and gets a reply but a) That's a challenge to export a current list and get consent for private email addresses. b) It's still just a database with a web site.
In fact, if you're not comfortable with point b) you might consider a different career. That's pretty much all there is to it for the 95% of corporate IT. The other 5% is stuffing around trying to glue the bits together in a relatively robust way that keeps you out of the DR zone!
Go to Top of Page

phil5p
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2012 :  05:42:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LoztInSpace

You do realise that DRP/BCP is usually something undertaken during a massive loss of availability of IT systems? Such things are more often than not manual or paper-based processes for a good reason! Your admins will know if your email system is up or down - same with phone system. If your DR is up to scratch then everything works as normal while the admins address the broken bits.
I suppose you could record employees OK state by simply bringing up a simple site on some hosted infrastructure that emails each employee at their private email and gets a reply but a) That's a challenge to export a current list and get consent for private email addresses. b) It's still just a database with a web site.
In fact, if you're not comfortable with point b) you might consider a different career. That's pretty much all there is to it for the 95% of corporate IT. The other 5% is stuffing around trying to glue the bits together in a relatively robust way that keeps you out of the DR zone!



The system would be designed to check the "OK state" of employees of a particular office.

Due to the nature of the business I am unable to tell if all employees will be present in the office. So, if a bomb was to explode or a fire was to break out I need a system that will account for the safe presence of all employees. Using email (work) first to check their safety and if no reply a follow up automated call.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SQL Server Forums © 2000-2009 SQLTeam Publishing, LLC Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000