Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2008)
 Can't seem to limit point in time restoration

Author  Topic 

markle
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2012-10-01 : 12:38:43
Hi all, thank you for all the help so far learning to use SQL Server. I have searched for an answer on the following procedure but not found enough description. The devil seems to be in the details so I need to ask for your help:

I have an sql2008 server that I would like to recover data for.

The DB is in full recovery mode and I have a full database backup from Monday and full log back up from Monday at the same time. The Tuesday backup failed to run at all (no DB, no log) and I need to roll back to Tuesday afternoon. I have the working .ldf file for the database up to Wednesday afternoon. (There were some data changes Wednesday morning, which when discovered resulted in the server being taken offline).

I have tried backing up the log with NO_TRUNCATE to a .trn file and then restoring the Monday backup of the DB, the Monday log and then the above .trn to a point in time (Tuesday 1pm) but every time I end up with the Wednesday afternoon data (no errors during restoring).

I am using the SQL Management Studio (as I'm a very green beginner) and first do Tasks->Restore->Database using "WITH REPLACE" and "RESTORE WITH NORECOVERY". My back up source is the DB in question (not a device/file) and I am writing to an empty DB with another name that I alter in the "Restore the database files as" grid. At this point I am restoring to the most recent time (Monday Night).

I then do Tasks->Restore->Transaction Log and select the Tail-end log that I produced earlier (from file or tape) and specify a time earlier than when the data was changed. In options I choose RESTORE WITH RECOVERY and begin. after 100% completion / success, the STOPAT is still ignored. I have tried choosing Restore->Database rather than Transaction Log in that last step above but with the same result.

What am I doing wrong?

Cheers,
Mark

chadmat
The Chadinator

1974 Posts

Posted - 2012-10-01 : 13:56:18
Can you script it out and post the T-SQl?

-Chad
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -