Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Administration
 MSServer Express + SQLMS with VS2010?

Author  Topic 

dainova
Starting Member

31 Posts

Posted - 2012-10-01 : 21:49:47

Hi,
I just installed VS 2010 copy I got from college, I know that it comes with SQL Server Express and saw it in Services, then I tried to install stand alone SQLS Mgngt Studio but looks like it coming already with SQLServer and could not do this, have an error.

THen I unintslled SQLServer, and install SQLS MS which comes I think with SQLServer already. But on the course of installation I didn't have a place to enter instance of db, so now I have empty configuration manager ? I thought shoud be at least default NS bu nothting ..!!!

Can aynbody help me how to make it work? i.e. to have SQL MS on SQLServer this is my priority, VS can wait.
Can I add db instance somehow? somewhere?

Thansk for help
Dai

komkrit
Yak Posting Veteran

60 Posts

Posted - 2012-10-01 : 22:20:46
SQL Server and SQL Server Express can be installed on the same machine.
If instance already exists(in your case SQL Express) you can install another instance of SQL Server.
SQL Server allow only one Default Instance installed on any machine,
but multiple Named Instance can be.
By default SQL Express installed as Named Instance,
that is mean the later installation of SQL would be Default Instance automatically(unless you specify to be Named Intance at installation time)

SSMS and SSMS Express can also on the same machine.
SSMS its independent to SQL Server. You can install SSMS with or without SQL Server installed on machine.
So your installation of SSMS does not mean it includes SQL Server Service.
It up to your selection while installing.

Another case I usually found during installation of SQL Service,
we can not install SQL Service if existing of others SQL Component on the same instance name remain intact on server
SQL Component includes Reporting Service, Analysis Service etc.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Komkrit Yensirikul
Welcome for all questions. Let us know if our solution solved your problem.
Go to Top of Page

dainova
Starting Member

31 Posts

Posted - 2012-10-01 : 23:07:35
Thanks Komkrit,
I jsut found that it's not about VS, I uninstalled VS, then tried to install SQLManagementStudio_x64_ENU.exe (180,712K) and still could not see any "instance screen" to create an instance. This file file has sqlServer + SSMS, I'm totaly lost, I did reboot after each uninstall as well.

Now I doint all clean up and then try again, I think recently MS did some chagnes in their file, none of tutorial works for me. I'm on W7 64,
can anaybody point me to corrent file. I need SQL Server Express + SSMS,
there is clean SQLSExpress SQLEXPR_x64_ENU.exe (106,796K). If I ran it and then run SSMS (see above) I have a conflict as SQLS already installed.

Totally lost$%^&*.
I just need SQLServer (Epxress b'cuz it's free + SSMS express) envirionemnt.

Tx to all
Best
Dai
Go to Top of Page

komkrit
Yak Posting Veteran

60 Posts

Posted - 2012-10-02 : 02:27:28
Hi Dai,

Try these.

Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Express with Tools
SQLEXPRWT_x64_ENU.exe 230.4 MB
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=22973

Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 RTM - Express with Management Tools
SQLEXPRWT_x64_ENU.exe 247.5 MB
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=23650

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Komkrit Yensirikul
Go to Top of Page

dainova
Starting Member

31 Posts

Posted - 2012-10-02 : 03:10:00
Thanks, Komkrit!
I knew that people in Thailand are very nice!
Trying bigger one right now! have to isntall it otherwise can't sleep.

I googled all over, and looks like there is no stand alone SSMS, that brings ? After installing VS-2010Pro (SQLS 2008Express in there), is there any way to install SSMS? Hopw to become a professionan SQL isntaller in next 2 days-)

Thanks again

Best
dai
Go to Top of Page

dainova
Starting Member

31 Posts

Posted - 2012-10-02 : 03:50:31
both files did't work form ,some ****/user.config error

Find this to put SSMS only on VS:
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/jimlamb/archive/2010/02/12/adding-sql-management-studio-to-the-vs-2010-rc.aspx

Dai
Go to Top of Page

komkrit
Yak Posting Veteran

60 Posts

Posted - 2012-10-02 : 12:06:47
Hi Dai,

Could you please find installation log and post error msg here?

Please look at following error message, are they matched yours? Maybe it help.
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlexpress/thread/ddfce5d2-edce-42fa-b8eb-75e8406ad59f/
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vsnetsetup/archive/2009/10/29/sql-server-2008-setup-fails-with-a-microsoft-net-framework-exception.aspx

P.S.
Your first file SQLManagementStudio_x64_ENU.exe is a stand alone SSMS
My labtop has VS2010, VS2008, SQL Server 2008 Express(bundled with VS), SQL Server 2008 R2 and SSMS 2008.
They are installed on the same machine without any error.
But have never try SSMS 2008 Express.

Komkrit Yensirikul
Go to Top of Page

dainova
Starting Member

31 Posts

Posted - 2012-10-02 : 20:00:38
Tx, Komkrit

Sorry, problem solved, I used first file in your list, but after cleaning a log of SQL* stuff from program and Features, left I assume after VS 2010. Now it works fine, I had a place to define all my instances.

Now I'm preparing to put back VS2010, researching now to do it better. Looking at your post I see that I can have 2 intances, but I'll try to go with one.

Tx again to all for help

Dai
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -