Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2008)
 Renaming SQL 2008 R2 server - Windows Groups?

Author  Topic 

chengy
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2012-10-03 : 11:18:04
A Windows 2003 server has been renamed from LAMDAMIRROR1A to LAMDAMIRROR2A and the following sql has been run in SQL Server 2008 R2 on the server :
exec sp_dropserver 'LAMDAMIRROR1A'
exec sp_addserver 'LAMDAMIRROR2A','local'

However, although everything appears ok, the 5 Windows 2003 Groups (automatically created by the SQL 2008 R2 Install) still contain 'LAMDAMIRROR1A' in their name. Does this matter ? Can the Windows Groups be just renamed (right click , rename) or will this cause problems ?
The Windows Groups are :
SQLServer2005SQLBrowserUser$LAMDAMIRROR1A
SQLServerDTSUser$LAMDAMIRROR1A
SQLServerMSSQLServerADHelperUser$LAMDAMIRROR1A
SQLServerMSSQLUser$LAMDAMIRROR1A
SQLServerSQLAgentUser$LAMDAMIRROR1A

There are also Registry entries containing the old 'LAMDAMIRROR1A' name. Does this matter ? Should this be changed ?
eg.
My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Machines\OriginalMachineName.
My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\Services\Report Server\GroupPrefix.
My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\printers\Microsoft XPS DocumentWriter\DsSpooler\serverName.
etc

tommyfly
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2012-12-14 : 04:36:52
Hi Chengy,

Have you gotten any further with this? I renamed a server and all seemed fine until I created a replication publication and I saw an error that the old server name could not be found.

In addition to the registry entries you listed I see the following as unchanged:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\Services\SSIS Server]
"GroupPrefix"

Thanks,
Tom
Go to Top of Page

tommyfly
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2012-12-14 : 05:15:36
After a little more research I found the following post on the MSDN boards:
[url]http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/br/sqldatabaseengine/thread/9942c0aa-c6f5-4629-96d4-1534307c61c9[/url]

It basically states that the [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Machines] "OriginalMachineName" registry key can be changed manually.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -