SQL Server Forums
Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | Forum FAQ

Register Now and get your question answered!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2008)
 Renaming SQL 2008 R2 server - Windows Groups?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

chengy
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2012 :  11:18:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A Windows 2003 server has been renamed from LAMDAMIRROR1A to LAMDAMIRROR2A and the following sql has been run in SQL Server 2008 R2 on the server :
exec sp_dropserver 'LAMDAMIRROR1A'
exec sp_addserver 'LAMDAMIRROR2A','local'

However, although everything appears ok, the 5 Windows 2003 Groups (automatically created by the SQL 2008 R2 Install) still contain 'LAMDAMIRROR1A' in their name. Does this matter ? Can the Windows Groups be just renamed (right click , rename) or will this cause problems ?
The Windows Groups are :
SQLServer2005SQLBrowserUser$LAMDAMIRROR1A
SQLServerDTSUser$LAMDAMIRROR1A
SQLServerMSSQLServerADHelperUser$LAMDAMIRROR1A
SQLServerMSSQLUser$LAMDAMIRROR1A
SQLServerSQLAgentUser$LAMDAMIRROR1A

There are also Registry entries containing the old 'LAMDAMIRROR1A' name. Does this matter ? Should this be changed ?
eg.
My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Machines\OriginalMachineName.
My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\Services\Report Server\GroupPrefix.
My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\printers\Microsoft XPS DocumentWriter\DsSpooler\serverName.
etc

tommyfly
Starting Member

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2012 :  04:36:52  Show Profile  Visit tommyfly's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Chengy,

Have you gotten any further with this? I renamed a server and all seemed fine until I created a replication publication and I saw an error that the old server name could not be found.

In addition to the registry entries you listed I see the following as unchanged:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\Services\SSIS Server]
"GroupPrefix"

Thanks,
Tom
Go to Top of Page

tommyfly
Starting Member

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2012 :  05:15:36  Show Profile  Visit tommyfly's Homepage  Reply with Quote
After a little more research I found the following post on the MSDN boards:
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/br/sqldatabaseengine/thread/9942c0aa-c6f5-4629-96d4-1534307c61c9

It basically states that the [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Machines] "OriginalMachineName" registry key can be changed manually.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SQL Server Forums © 2000-2009 SQLTeam Publishing, LLC Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000