Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 Transact-SQL (2008)
 SQL Script to compare Database

Author  Topic 

zero1de
Posting Yak Master

105 Posts

Posted - 2012-10-03 : 14:37:38
Hi,

I have to solve the following problem. We used DoubleTake for the event of a disaster. The database server is mirrored 1:1.

After a disaster event, the original database is offline. The system will switch to the mirrored backup system. The backup system is identical to the original system.
How can I prove that the backup database is identical in content and data to the prod DB?

lazerath
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

343 Posts

Posted - 2012-10-03 : 14:42:36
There is a third party utility I've used before from Red Gate called SQL Data Compare (as well as SQL Compare, which is the schema version). The data compare tool will not work very well on very big databases as you might imagine, but if you have a smaller DB it might suit your needs.

I have no connections to Red Gate, just used their products before.
Go to Top of Page

zero1de
Posting Yak Master

105 Posts

Posted - 2012-10-03 : 14:52:37
the prod DB is in time of a disaster point no longer available! for that reason I can't compare any schema or table.
Please keep in mind that the prod db is physically offline in disaster time. I have only the mirrored DB on hand !!

quote:
Originally posted by lazerath

There is a third party utility I've used before from Red Gate called SQL Data Compare (as well as SQL Compare, which is the schema version). The data compare tool will not work very well on very big databases as you might imagine, but if you have a smaller DB it might suit your needs.

I have no connections to Red Gate, just used their products before.

Go to Top of Page

lazerath

343 Posts

Posted - 2012-10-03 : 16:12:17
This this a puzzle or a real world situation? Has it already happened or are you designing a solution to help in the event of a disaster?
Go to Top of Page

chadmat
The Chadinator

1974 Posts

Posted - 2012-10-03 : 16:39:04
If the original primary is completely offline, there is no way to guarantee that.

-Chad
Go to Top of Page

zero1de
Posting Yak Master

105 Posts

Posted - 2012-10-04 : 02:49:42
I been thereby to provide a solution, which will bee use in test case, to proves that, that the two DBs are equal. This can happen in following way. I create a deduction from prod system, then shut down the system and backup system is online. Now I make a deduction from the backup and compare the two.

THX

quote:

This this a puzzle or a real world situation? Has it already happened or are you designing a solution to help in the event of a disaster?

Go to Top of Page

zero1de
Posting Yak Master

105 Posts

Posted - 2012-10-04 : 02:50:59
see postet ne reply

THX

quote:
Originally posted by chadmat

If the original primary is completely offline, there is no way to guarantee that.

-Chad

Go to Top of Page

lazerath

343 Posts

Posted - 2012-10-04 : 10:50:20
quote:
Originally posted by zero1de

I been thereby to provide a solution, which will bee use in test case, to proves that, that the two DBs are equal. This can happen in following way. I create a deduction from prod system, then shut down the system and backup system is online. Now I make a deduction from the backup and compare the two.

THX

quote:

It is not clear to me what you mean. What is a deduction? How can you compare the two systems post-deduction if "the prod DB is in time of a disaster point no longer available".
Go to Top of Page

zero1de
Posting Yak Master

105 Posts

Posted - 2012-10-04 : 11:35:50
Hi,

I might be pushing at the beginning wrong. The whole thing should just be a test. The disaster date is determined by me. So I can first collect some data from any key tables and then get the prod DB offline and get backup DB online and compare these values ??there. It should only a test scenario.

THX

quote:

quote:

THX

quote:

It is not clear to me what you mean. What is a deduction? How can you compare the two systems post-deduction if "the prod DB is in time of a disaster point no longer available".

Go to Top of Page

chadmat
The Chadinator

1974 Posts

Posted - 2012-10-04 : 13:19:52
I don't understand the point? In real life, the disaster will not be determined by you, so if you just want to compare DBs, why simulate a disaster at all? If it is for some sort of DR process, then this test is invalid because you won't know the date/time a disaster will occur.

-Chad
Go to Top of Page

zero1de
Posting Yak Master

105 Posts

Posted - 2012-10-04 : 14:24:01
I do not understand what's so hard about understanding that. It is only a simulated disaster and want to proves that the data is mirrored correctly. It goes to prove us that the Double Taker Software syncroniziert correctly.

quote:
Originally posted by chadmat

I don't understand the point? In real life, the disaster will not be determined by you, so if you just want to compare DBs, why simulate a disaster at all? If it is for some sort of DR process, then this test is invalid because you won't know the date/time a disaster will occur.

-Chad

Go to Top of Page

lazerath

343 Posts

Posted - 2012-10-04 : 16:27:33
Ok, so you'll have to do some work and this isn't perfect, but maybe you can do something like this:

DECLARE @SQL NVARCHAR(MAX);

SELECT @SQL=COALESCE(@SQL+CONVERT(NVARCHAR(MAX),'
UNION ALL
'),CONVERT(NVARCHAR(MAX),'')) + 'select CHECKSUM_AGG(CHECKSUM(*)) FROM [' + CONVERT(NVARCHAR(MAX),Table_schema) + '].[' + CONVERT(NVARCHAR(MAX),Table_name) + ']'
FROM INFORMATION_SCHEMA.Tables
ORDER BY TABLE_SCHEMA, TABLE_NAME

select @SQL;

EXEC (@SQL);

Keep in mind CHECKSUM won't work on data types: text, ntext, image, XML, cursor, and sql_variant with any one of the preceding types as its base type. If you don't have any of these datatypes, you could do a CHECKSUM_AGG on the result of the UNION ALL. Otherwise, you'll need to find someway to exclude those datatypes.
Go to Top of Page

zero1de
Posting Yak Master

105 Posts

Posted - 2012-10-05 : 02:27:52
Thanks for your help. But I do not understand what this query makes and what it checkes. Can you tell me please whats happining in this query ?

THX

quote:

Ok, so you'll have to do some work and this isn't perfect, but maybe you can do something like this:

UNION ALL
'),CONVERT(NVARCHAR(MAX),'')) + 'select CHECKSUM_AGG(CHECKSUM(*)) FROM [' + CONVERT(NVARCHAR(MAX),Table_schema) + '].[' + CONVERT(NVARCHAR(MAX),Table_name) + ']'

select @SQL;

EXEC (@SQL);

Keep in mind CHECKSUM won't work on data types: text, ntext, image, XML, cursor, and sql_variant with any one of the preceding types as its base type. If you don't have any of these datatypes, you could do a CHECKSUM_AGG on the result of the UNION ALL. Otherwise, you'll need to find someway to exclude those datatypes.

Go to Top of Page

lazerath

343 Posts

Posted - 2012-10-05 : 14:04:26
It's producing a CHECKSUM of all the data in each row in a table, then a CHECKSUM aggregate of those to produce a CHECKSUM of the table. It's then doing that for every table in the database and UNIONing them together. This list can then have a further CHECKSUM_AGG applied to it in order to get a single integer value for the DB.

A check sum in principal is just a way to take a lot of data and get a semi-unique value that represents it. If the data changes, in theory a new checksum will be generated. I say theory, because this function uses INT and there are many chances for a "collision", which means different data can have the same CHECKSUM. For your purposes, it should be good enough.

Again, there are many deficiencies to this approach, but the general principal should be relevant.
Go to Top of Page

zero1de
Posting Yak Master

105 Posts

Posted - 2012-10-05 : 15:59:35
o.k but the db which is to check has fields like ntext, images, text etc.. and there for a get this message when execute the query.

Lookup Error - SQL Server Database Error: Argument data type image is invalid for argument 7 of checksum function.

Lookup Error - SQL Server Database Error: Argument data type ntext is invalid for argument 12 of checksum function.

THX

quote:

It's producing a CHECKSUM of all the data in each row in a table, then a CHECKSUM aggregate of those to produce a CHECKSUM of the table. It's then doing that for every table in the database and UNIONing them together. This list can then have a further CHECKSUM_AGG applied to it in order to get a single integer value for the DB.

A check sum in principal is just a way to take a lot of data and get a semi-unique value that represents it. If the data changes, in theory a new checksum will be generated. I say theory, because this function uses INT and there are many chances for a "collision", which means different data can have the same CHECKSUM. For your purposes, it should be good enough.

Again, there are many deficiencies to this approach, but the general principal should be relevant.

Go to Top of Page

lazerath

343 Posts

Posted - 2012-10-05 : 16:27:14
Like I said, you will need to do some work and it's not perfect, but this shows you a path.
Go to Top of Page

zero1de
Posting Yak Master

105 Posts

Posted - 2012-10-06 : 06:06:42
ok you mean that a should find a way to extract this fields Like ntext etc. But how can i Do that ? can you give me a Exempel

Thx

quote:

Like I said, you will need to do some work and it's not perfect, but this shows you a path.

Go to Top of Page

zero1de
Posting Yak Master

105 Posts

Posted - 2012-10-08 : 12:56:06
Here is a Script for the Table that contain ntext Field. Now how can i extract this Field from the query ?

UNION ALL

select @SQL;

EXEC (@SQL);

CREATE TABLE [dbo].[HL_NEW] (
[DWDOCID] int NOT NULL,
[DWPAGECOUNT] int NULL,
[DWDISKNO] int NULL,
[DWFLAGS] int NULL,
[DWOFFSET] int NULL,
[DWSTOREDATETIME] datetime NULL,
[DWSTOREUSER] nvarchar(20) NULL,
[DWMODDATETIME] datetime NULL,
[DWMODUSER] nvarchar(20) NULL,
[DWLASTACCESSDATETIME] datetime NULL,
[DWLASTACCESSUSER] nvarchar(20) NULL,
[DWSTORAGEACCESS] ntext NULL,
[FORDNR] nvarchar(20) NULL,
[ENGAGEMENTNR] nvarchar(40) NULL,
[NACHNAME] nvarchar(40) NULL,
[VORNAME] nvarchar(40) NULL,
[GEBURTSDATUM] datetime NULL,
[SPARTE] nvarchar(40) NULL,
[TITEL] int NULL,
[DOKDATUM] datetime NULL,
[BEHLTER] nvarchar(20) NULL,
[VBAKTZ] nvarchar(20) NULL,
[VBDATUM] datetime NULL,
[STATUS] nvarchar(20) NULL,
[MATCHCODE] nvarchar(20) NULL,
[PartnerID] int NULL,
[ProdUnit] int NULL,
[BARCODENR] nvarchar(38) NULL,
[mig_id] int NULL,
[mig_status] nvarchar(38) NULL,
[mig_status_detail] nvarchar(255) NULL,
[KATEGORIE] nvarchar(80) NULL,
[BELEGART] nvarchar(40) NULL,
[PHIN_STATUS] int NULL,
[STAPELNUMMER] nvarchar(40) NULL,
[FORDERGNR] int NULL,
[GLAEUBIGERNR] int NULL,
[HCSUPDATE] int NULL,
[ABGLEICH] nvarchar(255) NULL,
[BRIEFID] nvarchar(20) NULL,
[BRIEFNR] nvarchar(20) NULL,
[BETREFF] nvarchar(255) NULL,
[EMAIL] nvarchar(255) NULL,
[KONTONR] int NULL,
[BEMERKUNG] nvarchar(255) NULL,
[HAUPTSCHULDNER] int NULL,
[DOKBEZEICHNUNG] nvarchar(255) NULL,
[ZUSTSACHB] nvarchar(80) NULL,
[DWDOCIDOLD] nvarchar(20) NULL,
[EXPORTID] nvarchar(20) NULL,
[ARCHIVIERT] int NULL,
[DWHEADERSIZE] bigint NULL,
[DWDOCSIZE] bigint NULL,
[DWEXTENSION] nvarchar(20) NULL,
[DWVERID] int NULL,
[DWSYSVERSION] int NULL,
[DWFLAGSEX] bigint NULL,
[DELETE] varchar(5) NULL)
ON [PRIMARY]
TEXTIMAGE_ON [PRIMARY]
WITH (DATA_COMPRESSION = NONE);

quote:

ok you mean that a should find a way to extract this fields Luke ntext etc. Bit how can i Do that ? can you give me a Exempel

Thx

quote:

Go to Top of Page

lazerath

343 Posts

Posted - 2012-10-09 : 16:08:13
I was hoping you would do more work and then show us where you were stuck, but I figured I'd just put something together for you. Try this:

DECLARE @datatype
TABLE (
DATA_TYPE NVARCHAR(128),
ALTERNATE_EXPRESSION NVARCHAR(128)
);

INSERT @datatype VALUES('text','CONVERT(VARCHAR(MAX),%n)')
INSERT @datatype VALUES('ntext','CONVERT(NVARCHAR(MAX),%n)')
INSERT @datatype VALUES('image','CONVERT(VARBINARY(MAX),%n)')
INSERT @datatype VALUES('XML','CONVERT(VARCHAR(MAX),%n)')

DECLARE @TABLE
TABLE (
Table_schema sysname,
Table_name sysname,
column_list NVARCHAR(MAX)
PRIMARY KEY(Table_schema, Table_name)
);

DECLARE @COLUMN
TABLE (
ID INT,
Table_schema sysname,
Table_name sysname,
column_name sysname,
ORDINAL_POSITION INT,
data_type NVARCHAR(128),
max_ordinal INT,
PRIMARY KEY(ID)
);

-- Capture an overridable column_listl, also enforce an order
-- without using ORDER BY in the following SELECT

INSERT @TABLE
SELECT t.Table_schema, t.Table_name, CASE WHEN c.COLUMN_NAME IS NULL THEN '*' END
FROM INFORMATION_SCHEMA.Tables AS t
OUTER APPLY (
SELECT TOP 1 c.COLUMN_NAME
FROM INFORMATION_SCHEMA.COLUMNS AS c
WHERE c.Table_schema = t.Table_schema AND c.Table_name = t.Table_name
AND c.DATA_TYPE IN (SELECT d.DATA_TYPE FROM @datatype d)
) AS c;

-- need to assemble an ordered list for following update statement to build column_list
INSERT @COLUMN
SELECT ROW_NUMBER() OVER (ORDER BY c.Table_schema, c.Table_name, c.ORDINAL_POSITION) AS ID,
c.Table_schema,
c.Table_name,
c.column_name,
c.ORDINAL_POSITION,
c.data_type,
MAX(c.ORDINAL_POSITION) OVER(PARTITION BY c.Table_schema, c.Table_name) AS max_ordinal,
NULL AS column_list
FROM @TABLE AS t
JOIN INFORMATION_SCHEMA.COLUMNS AS c
ON c.Table_schema = t.Table_schema AND c.Table_name = t.Table_name
WHERE t.COLUMN_LIST IS NULL
ORDER BY c.Table_schema, c.Table_name, c.ORDINAL_POSITION;

DECLARE @last_table_schema sysname, @last_table_name sysname, @column_list NVARCHAR(MAX);

-- String concatenation to get COLUMN_LIST built the hard way -- I wish i had a CONCAT_STRING_AGG() function built in
UPDATE c
SET @column_list = COALESCE(CASE WHEN COALESCE(@last_table_schema,'') = c.table_schema
AND COALESCE(@last_table_name,'') = c.table_name
THEN @column_list + ',' END,'') + REPLACE(COALESCE(d.ALTERNATE_EXPRESSION,'%n'),'%n','[' + c.column_name + ']')
, @last_table_schema = c.table_schema
, @last_table_name = c.table_name
, c.column_list = @column_list
FROM @COLUMN AS c
LEFT JOIN @datatype d ON c.DATA_TYPE = d.DATA_TYPE;

-- go back and update our @TABLE variable with the column list
UPDATE t
SET t.COLUMN_LIST = c.COLUMN_LIST
FROM @TABLE AS t
JOIN @COLUMN AS c
WHERE c.max_ordinal = c.ORDINAL_POSITION -- get only the last column as only it will have the full column list

-- Assemble the CHECKSUM for each row and a CHECKSUM_AGG for each TABLE with a UNION ALL to pull them together
SELECT @SQL=COALESCE(@SQL+CONVERT(NVARCHAR(MAX),' UNION ALL
'),CONVERT(NVARCHAR(MAX),''))
+ 'SELECT CHECKSUM_AGG(CHECKSUM('+ t.column_list + ')) AS CS FROM [' + CONVERT(NVARCHAR(MAX),t.Table_schema) + '].[' + CONVERT(NVARCHAR(MAX),t.Table_name) + ']'
FROM @TABLE t;

-- Include a CHECKSUM_AGG on the resultset so we can get a DB level CHECKSUM
SELECT @SQL = 'SELECT CHECKSUM_AGG(z.CS) AS DB_CHECKSUM FROM (
' + @SQL + ') AS z';

-- Run the Dynamic SQL statement to get a DB checksum
EXEC(@SQL);
Go to Top of Page

zero1de
Posting Yak Master

105 Posts

Posted - 2012-10-11 : 02:56:58
Lazerath many thx for your work. It works fine :)
Thank you.

quote:

I was hoping you would do more work and then show us where you were stuck, but I figured I'd just put something together for you. Try this:

DECLARE @datatype
TABLE (
DATA_TYPE NVARCHAR(128),
ALTERNATE_EXPRESSION NVARCHAR(128)
);

INSERT @datatype VALUES('text','CONVERT(VARCHAR(MAX),%n)')
INSERT @datatype VALUES('ntext','CONVERT(NVARCHAR(MAX),%n)')
INSERT @datatype VALUES('image','CONVERT(VARBINARY(MAX),%n)')
INSERT @datatype VALUES('XML','CONVERT(VARCHAR(MAX),%n)')

DECLARE @TABLE
TABLE (
Table_schema sysname,
Table_name sysname,
PRIMARY KEY(Table_schema, Table_name)
);

DECLARE @COLUMN
TABLE (
ID INT,
Table_schema sysname,
Table_name sysname,
column_name sysname,
ORDINAL_POSITION INT,
data_type NVARCHAR(128),
max_ordinal INT,
PRIMARY KEY(ID)
);

-- Capture an overridable column_listl, also enforce an order
-- without using ORDER BY in the following SELECT

INSERT @TABLE
SELECT t.Table_schema, t.Table_name, CASE WHEN c.COLUMN_NAME IS NULL THEN '*' END
FROM INFORMATION_SCHEMA.Tables AS t
OUTER APPLY (
SELECT TOP 1 c.COLUMN_NAME
FROM INFORMATION_SCHEMA.COLUMNS AS c
WHERE c.Table_schema = t.Table_schema AND c.Table_name = t.Table_name
AND c.DATA_TYPE IN (SELECT d.DATA_TYPE FROM @datatype d)
) AS c;

-- need to assemble an ordered list for following update statement to build column_list
INSERT @COLUMN
SELECT ROW_NUMBER() OVER (ORDER BY c.Table_schema, c.Table_name, c.ORDINAL_POSITION) AS ID,
c.Table_schema,
c.Table_name,
c.column_name,
c.ORDINAL_POSITION,
c.data_type,
MAX(c.ORDINAL_POSITION) OVER(PARTITION BY c.Table_schema, c.Table_name) AS max_ordinal,
NULL AS column_list
FROM @TABLE AS t
JOIN INFORMATION_SCHEMA.COLUMNS AS c
WHERE t.COLUMN_LIST IS NULL
ORDER BY c.Table_schema, c.Table_name, c.ORDINAL_POSITION;

DECLARE @last_table_schema sysname, @last_table_name sysname, @column_list NVARCHAR(MAX);

-- String concatenation to get COLUMN_LIST built the hard way -- I wish i had a CONCAT_STRING_AGG() function built in
UPDATE c
SET @column_list = COALESCE(CASE WHEN COALESCE(@last_table_schema,'') = c.table_schema
AND COALESCE(@last_table_name,'') = c.table_name
THEN @column_list + ',' END,'') + REPLACE(COALESCE(d.ALTERNATE_EXPRESSION,'%n'),'%n','[' + c.column_name + ']')
, @last_table_schema = c.table_schema
, @last_table_name = c.table_name
, c.column_list = @column_list
FROM @COLUMN AS c
LEFT JOIN @datatype d ON c.DATA_TYPE = d.DATA_TYPE;

-- go back and update our @TABLE variable with the column list
UPDATE t
SET t.COLUMN_LIST = c.COLUMN_LIST
FROM @TABLE AS t
JOIN @COLUMN AS c
WHERE c.max_ordinal = c.ORDINAL_POSITION -- get only the last column as only it will have the full column list

-- Assemble the CHECKSUM for each row and a CHECKSUM_AGG for each TABLE with a UNION ALL to pull them together
SELECT @SQL=COALESCE(@SQL+CONVERT(NVARCHAR(MAX),' UNION ALL
'),CONVERT(NVARCHAR(MAX),''))
+ 'SELECT CHECKSUM_AGG(CHECKSUM('+ t.column_list + ')) AS CS FROM [' + CONVERT(NVARCHAR(MAX),t.Table_schema) + '].[' + CONVERT(NVARCHAR(MAX),t.Table_name) + ']'
FROM @TABLE t;

-- Include a CHECKSUM_AGG on the resultset so we can get a DB level CHECKSUM
SELECT @SQL = 'SELECT CHECKSUM_AGG(z.CS) AS DB_CHECKSUM FROM (
' + @SQL + ') AS z';

-- Run the Dynamic SQL statement to get a DB checksum
EXEC(@SQL);

Go to Top of Page

lazerath

343 Posts

Posted - 2012-10-11 : 11:10:31
Thanks for the feedback. Glad to help.