Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 Transact-SQL (2008)
 Avoiding multiple sub selects

Author  Topic 

Bertie
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 2012-10-04 : 18:17:13
Hello,

This could be blindingly obvious, but if so please let me know.

I'm running a case statement on a subselect, however when I'm writing it I'm having to repeat the subselect, and even more so if I decide to put a where / having clause later on. Is there a way to store the result of the subselect to avoid duplication (without the use of temporary tables if possible)? Here's a very over simplified example, and I know in this one I could do it without the subselect! You'll see on lines 3 and 4 where I have the duplication I'm trying to avoid.

SELECT customer_number,
CASE
WHEN (select sum(invoice_values) from invoice where invoice.customer_number = customer.customer_number) > 1000
THEN (select sum(invoice_values) from invoice where invoice.customer_number = customer.customer_number)
ELSE 'Low value'
END as 'Customer Performance'
FROM CUSTOMER

Thanks for any help you can provide

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2012-10-04 : 18:34:55
WITH CTE(Customer_Number, Total) AS (SELECT Customer_Number, SUM(invoice_values) FROM invoice GROUP BY Customer_Number)
SELECT C.Customer_Number, CASE WHEN B.Total>1000 THEN CAST(B.Total as varchar)
ELSE 'Low value' END AS [Customer Performance]
FROM CUSTOMER C
INNER JOIN CTE B ON C.Customer_Number=B.Customer_Number
Go to Top of Page

Bertie
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 2012-10-04 : 19:03:08
Thanks, that works!

In terms of efficiency do you know if the WITH just runs the sub query once then stores the results, or will it be run again every time I use it in the rest of the query?
Go to Top of Page

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2012-10-04 : 20:30:06
You'd have to look at the execution plan to confirm it, but common table expressions are typically executed only once. It's possible your subqueries are also only executed once, it depends on the optimizer.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -